Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do you follow recipes to the letter?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Fleur, May 13, 2010.

1. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I have tons of recipe books - I love reading them and getting inspiration :thumbup:

But I rarely actually follow the recipes - I find them more like guidelines ;)

I'll add or take-a-way ingredients or see a nice pork dish and cook it with chicken etc.

I also like using BBC food - Recipes BBC - Food - Recipes Just type in 3 ingredients I have and see what it comes up with.

So tonight I'm cooking this BBC - Food - Recipes: Baked chicken with rice

I've already changed from Parsley to mixed dried herbs as I didn't have any and added sweetcorn - to get another veg into the kids :rolleyes:

It's in the oven now and not sure whether to add the eggs, kids love egg fried rice but aren't keen on eggs in general, what would you do?

2. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Add the eggs! It's a good source of protein and calcium.

Just don't tell the kids it's egg fried rice. Call it "Golden rice".

:thumbup:

I have to be honest though, I have a rule of following a recipe to the letter at least 3 times before I "alter it".

I think I might do some home cooking tonight now I've seen this thread. Probably a cheat recipe, but home cooked all the same.

;)

3. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

I follow dessert recipes to the tee because there is a science is desserts. Mains however, i let my creative energys flow a little . (doesn't mean it's any good though)

4. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

I once replaced paprika with cayenne pepper (same colour and it has a P in the name was my thinking).

BAD mistake! LOL

5. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Pirates of the Caribbean!

6. lifeizsweet

haha i've had my fair of herbs and spices disasters! OH doesn't trust my cooking much anymore!!

7. Fleur

Exactly :lol::lol:

OK classixuk- I'm going to add the eggs, it smells delicious so far.
    Hopefuly it'll be tastie, it's a pretty cheap meal so if everyone likes it I'll do it again.

I agree lifeizsweet - desserts, cakes etc definately need to follow the recipe which is probably why I hardly ever make them :eek:

8. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

Sometimes, when I use ingredients I've never cooked with before, I'll pretty much follow the recipe.
    Most of the time I'll add more veg or other herbs etc.
    I love BBC good food. I've got a subscription on the magazine. Was a 5 pound for 5 issues offer :)

9. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

10. Fleur

looks yummy - make sure you remember to let us know how it was.

11. Cazza1974

Cazza1974 PetForums VIP

No I don't I tend to follow the basics then add my own twist to it. I make a veggie curry and the first time I made it I followed the recipe to the latter and it was quite bland. I stick to the main ingredients now,but also put some of my own stuff in to give it a bit "more".

12. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Just to let you know it's in the oven. I'll be eating it really soon! ;)

As a side note, I found a brand new "Snap & Slice" unopened in the back of the kitchen cupboard. Rather than mucky my Mini-Chopper for the apples and onions, I thought I'd try it.

[​IMG]

Here's my review:

You'd have to be He-Man to be able to use one of these to cut your apples and onions. Seriously, stick to a mini-chopper that you plug into the wall. I have now thrown the "Snap 'n Slice" into the bin.

:p

13. lifeizsweet

I just have a OH who fancies himself to be quite the Jamie Oliver.... even if he did chop his finger off once! He can't resist and hasss to do all the chopping in the house! I recommend one of them..

14. Fleur

I know what you mean - I'll often add a bit more of something or an extra little ingredient to give a recipe a bit more flavour.

How was it?

15. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

No I follow the basics and then add or remove ingredients to make it taste how I like it.

16. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

im always changing and messing with a recipe, its more fun that way :lol:

17. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Unless its something that I've tried in a restuarant/hols then I always play a little with the recipe, especially if they include one thing that I know either me or hubs dont like. For example we both love chilli but neither of us like kidney beans so we tend to use a tin of hienz. :lol:

18. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

It was really nice. Very light and very African!

I wasn't sure what to serve it with, so made do with rice and a salad dressed with lemon juice and black pepper.

It could easily be served in tortilla wraps, served with dips (apricot conserve and sweet chilli jam would be gorgeous with it).

It would also work well with a curried cous cous too, with sultanas thrown through the cous cous.

It's one of those meals where you feel more and more full AFTER finishing.

A nice summer meal!

I will now ask OH to describe it and type it as I hear:

"Ehm...it's like a mildly savoury and mildly sweet with like a peanut butter flavour to it, even though there's no peanuts. And like eating peanuts, the more you have, you more you want. The plate was clean at the end. Ehm...it was an unusual flavour but very moreish. That's it. Dog didn't get none [sic]".

OK, I'm off to watch Question Time. Be back later!

:thumbup:

19. Fleur

classixuk - sounds like it was a success - love the OH's description :lol:
    I'll have to try that one.

My baked Chicken and Rice was lovely - all the kids had seconds :thumbup:, served it with green salad and garlic mayo.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice