UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Do you feed more in winter

823 views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Kc Mac 
#1 ·
Something I've done since noticing Heidi lose a little weight in her first winter.
Each year around this time she seems a little more hungry, I increase her food but she doesnt gain weight. In spring, I notice her start to gain weight and drop back to summer feed levels.

I've never done this with other dogs but Heidi seems to need it.

The mention of adding suet for winter in another thread made me wonder how many change food tactics for winter:D

#4 ·
I do for Alfie and Harvey, as they're lunatics who plough top speed wherever they go, and really burn it off much quicker when it's cold! - they're already on 4% of their bodyweights of raw, so I just increase slightly and feed more fattier cuts of meat.

This will be the first winter Ozzy has ever seen - he lived in Egypt prior to coming to me! - so we'll see how he goes.

Blue has a tendency to get chunky anyway if not carefully watched, and Jake is always wrapped up warm when out in the cold, and stays on lead, so not really an issue for them.

#5 ·
I free feed the cats as well and they noticeably look for more this time of year. Altho the lad will look for more all year round and be a total bloater left to his own devices so I do have a bit of say in how much he has.

Never had a dog like it though:rolleyes: The cold doesnt seem to bother Heidi, she doesnt wear a coat (altho enjoys a fleece at night;)) Exercise doesnt change etc. just needs a bit more food to see her thro.:D

#16 ·
I dont change their feeding routines during winter. If I feel they need it then I will up their food but TBH, 2 of them could do with being a bit leaner anyway so winter might do me a favour! My lot are far more active in winter than in summer and I do tend to find they trim down a bit during the colder months but I still dont feed them more.

#18 ·
If I feel Diz will need extra then she'll get it, now she's full frown she seems to hold a good weight whatever she's fed.
She does feel the cold though, so I guess I'll have to see as Winter sets in :eek:
I didnt realise until Heidi's first winter. As the weather got colder, she seemed less satisfied after her meals and then I noticed her losing weight. Increased her food and she was fine. In spring she put on a few pounds so I cut back. Still didnt think anything of it until the following winter when the penny dropped that just as I fed my horse more in winter, I needed to increase hers.

I suppose it's down to the individual dog and owner. I like to keep Heidi on the lean side but when she appears hungry and drops weight, I feel the need to act on it. Probably if I found the right balance she would end up leaner in winter and just right in summer but what's done is done and we've formed the habit now:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.