Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do you clip you cats nails ?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Milly22, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I don't.

I was reading my book (not the cr*p Cat Breeding one my Ragdoll one) and it said that you really should clip their nails every few months.

I tried to give Poppy a mini bath in the sink last night and she almost....., well let's just say I don't think she would like me clipping her finger nails.:D

Should I learn ? It said, in the book they can have ingrown toenails.

2. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

I do! I forgot to clip mine before I gave her a bath this afternoon & I have a cut on my arm now. Plus it is compulsory for showing.

Aside from that, it just helps. They become talon like & when they are kittens, at least, they can cause some pain in play.

Milly22 likes this.
  3. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Okay, so do I need some special clippers for doing this ?

Misty will be fine but this other little girl growls and hisses etc! not that I am scared of a 14 week kitten or anything......:rolleyes: I guess I will wear and long sleaved top to do this.

4. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

Milly22 likes this.
  5. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Oh blast I just put in a order today with PPawz. I will get them next week. I worry as the nails are so tiny and if I cut too much and and yikes.... I shall look at poppys and see.

Thanks. :)

6. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

As China Blue mentioned you can use human toenail clippers, they are fine for clipping claws, its what I use to clip all my 11 cats claws. Just make sure you don't cut too short because if you catch the quick it will bleed. Here's a link showing what I mean How to Trim your Cat’s Claws :)

7. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Oh that's a great link. Thanks very much.

8. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

I find, after brushing a cat, it to be one of the easier things to do when grooming. I have them on my lap asleep & press their feet so the toes expand & clip. Don't even notice!

9. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I am such a wimp I am wincing just reading about it.

I have always erm.. wanted ? Wanted seems a bit of strong word to use, I would really like to do this but reading that link makes it look a bit better.

It recommends that you do just as you say messyhearts!

10. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

I can clip decker,kira and tidbits nails no problem. as they do turn into long hooks and u can hear them on the tiles when there walking. Horris is a different story, the first time i tried clipping his nails i got a big cut down my face. So when we go to the vets three people have to hold him down while a fourth cuts his nails.

11. purplekitten

purplekitten PetForums Newbie

i clip the ones that stay in, but the younger ones who sit in the tree still have nice long claws

12. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

yes i clip my cat's claws.

13. I clip two of my cats claws, the other goes outside so i dont, and psycho kitten.... well lets just say its not safe even thinking about it!

14. Angelic1

Angelic1 PetForums Member

I clip my cats claws about once a month. She hates it! I put a harness on her for better control of her and have even wrapped her in a towel before now too. I also use a harness on her when she has a bath. :)

15. Angelic1

I used human nail clippers on her as a little kitten but as her nails got bigger and a little tougher as she grew I switched to the proper scissor cat clippers and found it so much easier. :)

16. tylow

tylow PetForums VIP

Our two get their's clipped whilst asleep or shall we say whilst in a sleepy state :)

17. Antw23uk

Antw23uk PetForums Junior

We clip Ollie's claws every month or so. The OH holds him craddled like a baby and i clip away ... he just purrs the whole time and then gets a little treat afterwards to tell him what a good boy he is.

I can do them on my own but its awkward because he is so big and hairy so better if one holds and the other person clips. Ollie has always been well handled and i dont think we will ever stop 'vet checking' him ..... you know when they go to the vets the vet will check ears, paws, teeth etc? Well we just include those checks a few times a week (very randomly now) when we stroke him so he doesnt think anything of it. I know our vet appreciates him being well behaved, lol :D

If your cat really doesnt like it then start slowly by touching and holding the feet for a efw seconds .. building it up so your cat is comfy with it and then introduce the clippers WITHOUT using them, just holding them whilst you hold the paws ... slowly building up the trust so your cat accepts them as part of being fussed. Then eventually clip a claw and praise .. and build it up.

Or you could just pin it down and clip its claws and put up with the sulking but i know which i prefer :)

18. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Aww you still have her. How is she now ? Still as psychoish ?

This may an idea, I will have to buy a harness.

Another great idea. Thanks

I think we may have to build up to this with Poppy. She is a very lovely little thing but I wrapped her up in a towel to give her a little bath and I have never heard such growls and hisses coming from a kitten. Yikes. we only managed a quick dip with zero kitten shampoo.

She is lovely the rest of the time. She just seems to know I am going to do "something" to her!

I may have a try out with Misty first. She is very laid back and does not hiss/growl. Well, not now her babies have gone (very protective).

19. Antw23uk

Antw23uk PetForums Junior

Good luck Mellowma, it sounds like you have your hands full there!

I think i take Ollie for granted sometimes. He is so good with everything bless him :)

20. Angelic1

I cut Dolly's claws at the weekend....still with the harness on and the lead attached..just in case ;) but this time she just layed on her side and let me cut away. She was so good especially as she is still a baby really.. seven months old. The trust she had for me at that moment made my heart swell with love and pride for my lovely girl.:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice