Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do you buy the recommended crate size?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by DebsPink, Jul 11, 2009.

1. DebsPink

DebsPink PetForums Member

I am about to order a crate for my new puppy that I will be getting in about 2 weeks. But I was wondering, do people buy the size recommended for their breed, or do they buy one a bit bigger? I'm getting a Jack Russell, so it should be the smallest (24") but this seems so tiny and I'm thinking of getting a 30" one Does anyone have a view on this?

Thanks,

Debs

2. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

the crate is a place that should be like there safe place and like there den. You could get a bigger one but training it to do its business outside maybe harder because if the crate is too big then the dog can go to one end and soil and then go back to the other and sleep.

3. charlie9009

charlie9009 PetForums Senior

We got a size bigger when we got one for our staffie, the recommended size seemed too small. I think you can buy cage dividers to make the space inside smaller while your dog is still a pup, so there's not too much room to go to the toilet, and then you an slowly make it bigger

4. Sheltielady

Sheltielady PetForums Junior

I always get bigger than the recommended size, so there's plenty of room for them to move around, stretch out etc, but now my dogs are all grown up, I rarely use the crate.

5. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

We have terriers, and our last pup Meg our youngest border terrier was crated, we bought the 30 ins crate, no problems with toileting, she always let you know when she wants to go out. We have the 24 ins one in the car to put both in when travelling etc

6. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

I've got a 18 or 20 inch crate for puppy because it was only £10 in B&Q but I'll have to get about a 30 inch crate when he starts to get too big for it.

7. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I got the recommended size for the size of my dogs as they're all mixes and it helps a lot because if its too big they might go in one corner and sleep in another defeating the purpose. Just sectioned it off until they were big enough.

8. DebsPink

DebsPink PetForums Member

Thanks for all your help. I think I'll definitely get the 30" one and section it off until she gets bigger as suggested.

I'll have a different, smaller one for the car.

Off to eBay now then....

Debs x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice