Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do we worry more about our children...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Classyellie, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

....growing up in todays society than our parents used to worry about us?

(Thanks to animallover for the idea! :D)

When I was a child, my brother and I would happily disappear for hours playing just popping back for a drink or snack. Now if Jack just wants to nip into town to see his friends I worry about him constantly although I know he is a sensible boy.

What are your feelings?

2. animallover111

Mmmmm i have spoken to my mum about this before.....i dont know if its me or the age of my children but recently i have really started to worry about my children growing up now my mum worries more about her grandchilldren growing up more than she did my brother and i although i know she loves us all equally.My mum worries to death about my children and my nephew.
    I think alot of the worry is because things have changed so much since my mum was a child even though she is only 50.Crime,drugs etc are at a height but its not that i am worried either of my children will get involved i worry about them been around these bad things i also worry about the dangers out there.My children are very lucky we live in a lovely area,they get a fantastic education,and brought up around good people but my worry is other people out there,yet i know as much as i hate it my children are going to grow up and have their own lives to live!!

3. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

yep I would go out to play for hours come back for a wee and food then bugger off back out till tea time lol even from around 4-5yrs old my older sisters would take me out for hours

I dont let mine go out of my sight when out playing but they are only 5 and nearly 4 yrs old and i dont tend to let people look after them only my mum/dad and sisters other then that no one else can i worry to much

4. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

Yeah I think so.....there are more dangers thats for sure I think a lot of it is to do with the fact that back when we were kids evryone knew each other - neighbours looked out for each other and as a result you felt safer....nowadays people keep more to themselves - I think it is sad that as a society we have become so aloof but it is a way of protecting yourself...what I dont like is the fact if someone is hurt others could just walk by.....I would at least phone the amublance...a lot of people just like to watch and video bad stuff happening! a lot of people have become quite cold which is sad

5. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I always want to know were Ben is.

If he's gone out on his scooter he has to text me to let me know he has arrived at were ever he is going and then to let me know her is on his way home.

Before he had his scooter if he went out with his mates I wanted to know when he was going to be in and he always had to have his phone switched on.

When I was 16 and younger I would dissappear for the day as others have said just going back for food and drinks. I know Ben gets annoyed about having to let us know were he is all the time but I'm afraid thats the society that we live in.

6. animallover111

This is it i worry now for my children and i guess as they get older (ie driving,scooters etc)you must worry more?i dread when jack starts going to night clubs etc.......:( gosh i will have a nervous breakdown

7. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Ben's never been 1 for going to night clubs. He's happy to be on his laptop at night talking to his girlfriend. Saying that he's no couch potato he kickboxes at least twice a week and goes to ringcraft classes with me 1 night a week.

The other week he'd been to work and had gone straight to his girlfriends. He'd phoned to ask if it was ok for him to come back at 9pm (He has to be in before it goes dark if he's on his scooter) he turned up at 9.40pm in the mean time I'd phoned him no answer and 2 ambulances had gone past our house with their sirens on. No prizes for guessing what he got told when he got in. He's lucky I didn't take his keys of him

#7 Freyja, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  8. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

When I was little - we lived where there were farmers fields and woods at the back of us- it was great!! we used to play there for hours and hours! making dens and playing in the farmers fields lol my mum never batted an eyelid at how long were gone for I know my oh would never let the boyz go and do that now....it is a shame cos a lot of kids nowadays dont have a carefree attitude that we as kids had - where you are just happy being a kid doing kids stuff ....pity that some will never have that feeling I think we do need to let kids have a certain amount of freedom as they get older or they will only rebel and do it anyway - it is finding the right balance -

9. kath123

kath123 Guest

I let my james who is 6 this month out over the park with his older 10yr old step brother the other saturday, i worried like mad the whole time and was constantly asking "how long will they be" to dean. and he was like "kath they will be fine hun honest.

They came back and james was so chuffed that i had let him go to the park with Josh and he had such a great time making friends with josh's friends as well and wanted to go again and again!!! :):):)

But when i was small, my mum wouldnt see me for hours and i would be out playing and didnt have a worry in the world. x

10. animallover111

I bet you were worried to death.I feel really mean with Jack as sometimes i think i am too over protective he wants to stay out later than i think he should etc but he doesnt seem to realise why i worry i just hope when he gets older he realises why,i now know how my mum felt with my brother and me!

11. animallover111

Spot on Suzy and Kathryn we can not wrap them up in cotton wool all their lives,we have to prepare them for the big wide world :)

12. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I don't have kids but I would say yes!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice