Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do 'single' rabbits exist?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by gloworm*mushroom, Apr 6, 2011.

1. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

By which I mean rabbits which prefer to be on their own.

One of my male bunnies is really unhappy with other buns. He would take their submission as 'aggressive' and would mount the head or back of one of my neutered males. I would let him mount him (not his head) as I was told this helps them establish dominance. However he wouldn't stop to the point of annoying the other bunny who'd then get annoyed and then there would be scuffles.

I hate the idea of having him Alone as there is so much said against this. Perhaps a female would be suitable. I just don't want to face having to rehome a bunny if he still doesn't get on with them.

Funnily he gets on with my cats just fine and I often find him cuddled up with one of them! Surrogate bunny perhaps!

2. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

Is he neutered?

3. Pinkchi

Pinkchi PetForums Member

If he is neutured I would suggest putting him with a spayed doe. Neutured males do not always go together well but usually go better with a spayed girl.

Mounting is normal in establishing who is boss but they shouldn't continue obsessively.

If he is not neutured, get him done and get a him a girlfriend. Most rabbit rescues spay and neuter so you could pick up an already spayed girl for him in need of a home.
    Some rescues will also bond for you if you ask x

4. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

i personally dont belive they do exist
    quite a few of my rabbits have come as single buns who "must be housed alone" and i dont have a single lone rabbit, its all a case of mixing the right personalities, like us, rabbits like certain buns, and hate others, we couldnt live with some one we hated could we? :lol:

i think your best bet would be to contact a local rescue, and take him along to meet a few girl buns and see who he likes best, the rescue should be able to keep him for a few days to bond them for you too

5. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

He is neutered yeppie! Dear me I wouldn't dare put unneutered males together! Dread the thought!

I think I will take him along to a rescue and try find him a ladyfriend later in the month :)

6. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

He needs bonding with a spayed doe on neutral ground, if the rescue bonds them then makesure when before they come home that you scrub everything, vinegar is good to add to the water to try and get rid of territorial smells :)

7. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

sounds like he just needs a to be bonded to another rabbit, ive found car journeys work best

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice