Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do senior/adult dogs need vaccinated against parvo?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by S.Universe, May 24, 2021.

1. S.Universe

S.Universe PetForums Newbie

Or is it only puppies? I remember being told once over 5 years the dog doesn’t need vaccines other than a kennel cough booster if it’ll be around other dogs.

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

You would be better discussing vaccinations with your vet. For what it's worth my dogs get their puppy vaccinations and are then titre tested at one year old.

3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Yes they do. Every 3 years for the core vaccinations and every year for lepto and parainfluenza. The only reason really for kennel cough vaccine is if they are going in kennels and no kennel will take them without their other vaccinations being up to date. Years ago, like back in the 70s, it was considered older dogs did not need vaccinating because they were coming in contact with the diseases and getting natural immunity but fortunately it would be rare for them do that nowadays when most dogs are vaccinated. When I worked for a vet back then there was a case of distemper in an area that had not seen it for a long time and a great number of older dogs who had been vaccinated according to that protocol got ill and died. Titre testing is all well and good but it only shows the antibodies present on that day whereas if they are vaccinated you are pretty much guaranteed 3 years of immunity.

Rafa likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice