Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do People On These Forums Realise That Pine Woodshavings Cause Health Probs in Rodent

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Hazelwykes1952, May 8, 2011.

1. Hazelwykes1952

Hazelwykes1952 PetForums Junior

Hi folks!I just wanted to warn everyone against using Pine Woodshavings for rodents-there's been a lot of warnings recently on various hamster websites warning about pine causing certain health problems in hamsters one of them being liver & respiritory problems-i just wanted you to avoid the problems i've had in the past with hamsters having respiritory problems & other health issues.

I have now changed to Carefresh & there's also other alternatives out there such as Aspen bedding,and Megasorb-which comes in large bales and lasts ages.

Have any of you had experiance of health problems with hamsters kept on pine woodshavings?

Does anyone already use Megasorb or Carefresh-What do you think of it?

2. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

I used untreated chopped straw which is soft and very absorbent and in bulk, a lot cheaper than those brands. I used to breed and show guinea pigs so have been aware of the perils of pine shavings for years. Have not had a single case of respiratory problems with them since using chopped straw.:001_smile:

3. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

You won't find any sort of shavings in this house, I use Megazorb :D

4. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

I use megazorb for my guinea pigs and they love it, no respiratory problems here! I think everyone on here knows about the problems softwood shavings cause, and we're always careful to warn people not to use them!
    Megazorb costs me £11.99 delivered and lasts me a bit over a month. Not sure how that compares to the likes of PAH woodshavings etc.

5. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Im using carefresh cant say im a huge fan of it to be honest. its ok the mouse seems to like it but i think he liked his shredded paper more!

6. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I use aubiose for the hamsters, mice, gerbils and rats, tbh I think everyone on pf will already know about shavings or if not they should :nono: :D.

7. Rhi

Rhi PetForums Member

Yep, rabbits get newspaper and hay in their litter trays and the rats get Aubiose as substrate and Papelit paper pellets in their litter trays.

8. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Don't think many on here still use shavings, you're preachin' to the choir :)

9. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

i havent used shavings in years, nasty things, in my opinion they really shouldnt be sold for use with small animals, and will always advise people against them

megazorb all the way here

10. Snippet

Snippet PetForums VIP

I've never used them as I find they irritate my lungs, so can't be good for the small furries. I've used chopped straw, carefresh, auboise and ecobed for my rats.

11. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

As recommended me by TDM I use Aubiose too. Carefresh is not the best and is expensive too!

12. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I use a mixture of shredded paper and fresh hay, the gerbils love it & I've never had a problem :)

13. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I never had probs with the shavings with mine.. But I have a big enough supply of shredded paper to use that and a bit of shaving in the hamsters..

When Frank came I had just run out of paper so threw some shavings in.. That is now sorted.. Neighbour gave me more paper now..

RSPCA I asked them about why they use shavings.. Its what is donated to them..

14. $hAzZa

$hAzZa Shan

It's distgusting when its gets wet, it turns into into a pulp :(

15. Chinquary

Chinquary PetForums Senior

I used the pets at home shavings (don't know what wood that is though) for all my hammies and now my gerbils and have no problem with it at all.

The gerbils also have some hay thrown in too.

16. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Im on a gerbil forum and the debate over shavings and gerbils rages on, I think the school of thought at the moment is that shavings dont affect gerbils, I use aubiose for mine but that is because I have a huge bale of the stuff for all the other rodents.

17. Chinquary

Chinquary PetForums Senior

If I thought that the shavings effected my boys I wouldn't use it. But it holds good structure for their tunnels, doesn't smell, is cheap and easy to get hold of and I've not noticed any health effects, and I try to give them a quick look over often enough (well, as much as I can look at, they just won'n hold still!)

18. tiggerthumper

tiggerthumper PetForums VIP

When I got my two guinea pigs they had been kept on shavings and came to me with respiratory infections. I use carefresh now and have had no more problems, touchwood, I would prefer not to use carefresh though as I find it's rather smelly and expensive but it's the best thing I can find in my area

19. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Try and order something like Ecobed online - it might look like a bit of a big spend but you get a lot more for your money :)

20. ceretrea

ceretrea PetForums Senior

I always say at the very least shavings have been shown to pose a risk. I wouldn't expose my kids to a risk because it conveniences me, and I won't do it to my animals either.

I also look at the reaction I have to bedding as I suffer from asthma and hayfever. If it makes me sneeze they don't get it.

The only bedding I have ever used that makes never me sneeze nor them is Ecopetbed which I get locally for cheaper then the equivalent bale of shavings anyway.

I don't tend to preach too much to others though as its one of those controversial subjects that can cause a lot of unneccessary ruckus. However I feel strongly enough about it that I try to source my pets from only those who do not use shavings. I also figure that even P@H don't use in their cages so it must be really bad lol

Obviously with alot of rescue animals I see too much the damaged respiratory systems because of the way they have been kept before coming into rescue. That isn't just bedding but it certainly contributes.

Imagine living amongst grass having been born with hayfever (the jury is still out on that one but I know it runs in families). Now imagine a low grade wheezing everyday for the rest of your life because your owner will not allow you to move to a different place. Noone may be able to detect this wheeze but it will bring your immune system down due to stress every day. Resulting in chest infections or early death even due to something unrelated to your chest. As an asthmatic I can imagine this scenario all too well, my daughter has been through illnesses and chest infections until she was old enough to have her asthma medication increased. She is now fit and well. This is my I don't use shavings, carefresh, Aubiose or even megazorb and finacard (all had reactions to).

Many people do not have such problems on these beddings, which is why it is controversial. Many people say they have used it for 30+ years with no early deaths and no resp issues. Although I struggle to believe anyone has mice and rats on anything with no such issues, I find it a frivolous exercise changing peoples minds, so I no longer try :) I have friends who use this, as long as we don't discuss bedding we're fine :)

So long story short, its a personal choice to use it, but not a choice I would make for the reasons above.

x

niki87 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice