Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do Not Shoot The Messenger

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by bird, Jul 14, 2009.

1. bird

bird PetForums VIP

My daft eldest, inspite off all I've said has gone and bought another kitten, the other two from the same litter are 10mths shes bought this poor little thing at 6 wks (like I said do not shoot the messenger) I have had my say :mad: however cats are not really my thing and at least shes prepared to listen to advice on feed etc HELP

2. JoWDC

JoWDC PetForums VIP

Sorry - am not much use with kittens. You may get more help if this was posted on the main cat chat section.

3. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Hiya, apart from the kitty being 6 weeks why didnt you want her getting another one? or does she live with you?

4. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Because she's a single parent, currently working etc I am aware of the fact that if nothing goes wrong cats dont have to cost the earth to keep but....just too long a story really

5. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

oh ok LOL

My mum was always telling me not to get more pets but I didnt listen :p

6. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

i am a single mum and have 3 family cats and foster other cats and study so a lot of people can do it as for the kitten being 6 weeks, i have rehomed a few kittens at 6 weeks but only the ones that i was absolutely certain were able to go (as with humans some kittens seem to progress and develop faster than others) on the other hand i have had a few kittens i have not rehomed till they were 12-13 weeks as they were not ready to go. i just hope your daughters kitten is like the 6 week old ones i rehomed

7. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Erm not really, tho I admit I'm not too up on cats this little mite is absolutly tiny (with fleas) one of the other cats hisses at it all the time and the other mostly ignores the poor thing but its only been a few days so things might improve in that direction. I have told her to give it kitten milk to help build the little mite up and also try and keep it on wet food. Would there be anything else to do.

8. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

the poor thing as for one of the cats hissing thats absolutely fine and normal, because the kitten is so small and had fleas it has probably passed them on to the other cats but if she regularly combs the little one with a childs nit comb and drowns all the fleas she catches in warm soapy water immediately along with any treatment the vet will give her the kitten will be fine. The kitten alsao may not be overly keen on kitten milk if its used to its mum so giving it water would be fine but maybe suppliment its diet with a tin of tuna or pilchards (whatever it will eat) in sunflower oil once a week

if there is anything else i can do to help please dont hesitate to PM me

9. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

6 weeks is far too young to leave Mum really, poor little mite, but at least he/she has other feline company, even if they are not too keen at the moment. Wet food is best with 50% + meat content, hi life, natures menu, applaws/encore are usually easily available. I would supplement with cooked chicken, raw beef or lamb mince, cooked fish as well as adding some replacement milk formula into his/her diet for added vits etc, especially if he/she needs building up a bit, something like Lactol Gold for kittens or Cimicat, as well as having fresh water down. Scrambled egg is also a good source of protein, and goats yoghurt a good source of digestable calcium.

I wouldn't add too many new foods into his/her diet too quickly incase the change upset their tum. Try a small amount of something new to see how he/she gets on with it.

A trip to the vets is really in order to get a thorough check, fleas treated and possible worming.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice