Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do I visit Justin or not?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Lumpy, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy PetForums Senior

I had to take Justin, my foster bunny, back to rescue the Sunday before last as his fur had started to fall out and he had little scabs. He is white and I couldn't see any mites or flea dirts - nothing obvious at all.

The guy who runs rescue - who knows lots about bunnies - couldn't see what was causing it either. Initially, he thought ringworm but it wasn't that. Justin was given a bath after which he seemed better so the opinion is that it was mites from the hay I use, even though my other three bunnies have the same hay and are absolutely fine. Apparently, some bunnies are more susceptible than others.

After Justin had been at Rescue for a while the staff noticed he was dribbling so decided to keep him there until their vet could look at him as he needs his teeth ground down regularly (which is why he is fostered, not adopted). The vet saw him yesterday and he has an abscess and will have to stay at Rescue for at least another week as he needs regular injections.

I don't know whether to go and visit him this weekend or not. The Rescue centre is about half an hour away - longer in traffic - so I can't pop in regularly. I want to see Justin is OK and give him a huge cuddle but I also want to do what is best for him and worry it may unsettle him seeing me and then not coming home with me.

I'm really worried about the abscess as I've never had a bunny suffer from this before. I am sure he didn't have it when he went to Rescue as he was eating fine and was checked by the staff there too.

What do you other bunny lovers think? I'm only supposed to 'phone once a week or so to check on him but I call every day or second day as I just want to know how he is doing, but feel guilty as the staff there are so busy.

2. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

Could you not take a day off to help the staff out and visit him? I think Justin would appreciate it

3. Lumpy

Lumpy PetForums Senior

I'm really short of leave and work two jobs as well as working from home. I was thinking about volunteering there anyway but it would only be one day a month as I already work long hours. When I asked about it I was given a form which has to be completed and they need two referees - I think it's all do to with their insurance.

I may offer to visit over the weekend and just help with Justin though - they may agree to that as he's my foster bunny. I can ask - they can only say no.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice