Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do I step in?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Freddie and frank, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Freddie and frank

Freddie and frank PetForums VIP

Bella has taken a liking to Freddie. He's such a laid back boy and he never gets cross. Bella is biting his legs and jumping all over him and he's just taking it.
    Sometimes he looks like he's had enough and walks away but she won't let up.
    I distract her and play with her which works for a while but should I step in and help Freddie out or do I let him tell her when he's had enough?
    She's not bothered with frank cause he won't have any of it.

She's quite vocal too. Seems to be settling more though.
    Off to walk boys so will check back later.:)

2. Beth17

Beth17 PetForums VIP

I would probably remove her and give some quiet time if she's not taking the hints. I have to do this with Sam sometimes as he does exactly the same and just won't give up :)

Oscar will tell him off though if he goes too far but he still doesn't always listen :rolleyes:

3. Izzysmummy

Izzysmummy PetForums VIP

My parents dog sounds just like Freddie. Izzy just pounces on Millie and wont leave her alone and shes such a softy she wont tell her off. We tend to step in and separate them if it looks like Millie has had enough or it gets too rough. If Izzy continues after we've separated them she gets a time out to calm down.

Izzy is getting much better now, once the initial excitement of seeing Millie has worn off she calms down much quicker. Millie is 6 now and even with us separating them when it gets too rough after a weekend of enduring through play with Izzy she's still a bit stiff on a Monday morning!

They do love each other though and on our last visit we progressed to this!
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-chat/261878-finally-pics.html

As they are living in the same house together all the time, not just for odd weekends like Izzy and Millie, I would expect a few days of being consistant with Bella and she will soon get the message ;) :D!

4. Werehorse

Werehorse PetForums VIP

Definitely step in. Oscar doesn't seem to know how to tell Hugo to stop bothering him other than walking away and Hugo is a persistant little, ah-hem, darling so we always intervene when Oscar looks to have had enough. They are very settled together generally Hugo just gets carried away on occasion and I don't think it's fair on Oscar for him to have to put up with it until snapping point.

5. Freddie and frank

Have separated them for a bit of time out.
    The boys sleep a lot in the day and just pop upstairs to say hello to me once in a while so I've left her in the utility and left stair gate open if boys want to come up to me.
    Thanks.:D

6. Freddie and frank

Ahh, that's nice to see. Freddie and frank used to be like that.
    They seem to be more independent just lately.
    Sure she'll settle in to their ways eventually.bless her.
    Thanks. :D

7. Freddie and frank

Freddie just walked away cause he's too much of a gentleman to tell her.
    Frank was a little so and so when we had him but there is only 6 months between them.
    Separating them until she settles down seems to be working.gives Freddie some lounging around time too.

Its funny how I've forgotten so much about puppies.
    I had heaps of books and solutions when the boys were young and they are so well behaved now.
    I'll be popping up on here quite often asking for advice I think.:eek:

8. Luz

Luz PetForums VIP

Maybe if you got another puppy for Bella to play with? Just kidding! :D
    Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

9. Freddie and frank

:eek: no way Jose. :nono:
    I've missed the photo comp this week cause of the new addition...told you I would. :p

We've just had a mad ten mins playing outside...frank and bella in opposite directions fetching balls and Freddie with me playing tug.:D
    Multi tasking or what.:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice