Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do I pick up my cat after each plane flight if hes in cargo?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jordan003, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Jordan003

Jordan003 PetForums Newbie

My cat will be traveling in cargo for my trip from Dubai to Canada because im moving and want to take him with me. Its a 15 hour flight in total. It will be dived into 3 flights, a 7 hour flight then another 7 hour flight and a 1 hour flight after then. Do I get to pick up my cat after each plane has landed and then give it back for them to put him in the cargo for the next one? Or do I not get to see him all the way until we land in Canada? If I don't get to see him then how will he use the washroom while hes in his crate? Am I suppose to put a litter box in there or what do I do?

2. AlexPed2393

AlexPed2393 PetForums VIP

Sadly your cat will be staying in the crate all the way through the travel. How long in total is the journey including lay offs??

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I would think you won't see him until you get to the other end.

Will need everything in his crate, food, water and a litter tray.

I would expect there is someone at the airports who check the animals as they pass through.

AlexPed2393 likes this.
  4. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

Cats have the ability to hold on and not eliminate for long periods especially when confined.

5. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

That whole journey could be a long time in total with the checkin time between flights. I would estimate around 20 hours. I would ask to speak to the animal cargo department and find out exactly what will happen to him. Sometimes animals are rested in pens between flights so they get a chance to stretch and be vet checked after each stage. Either way I would make sure he has as big a crate as you are allowed and I would prepare him well prior if he's not used to travelling. Perhaps get him on zylkene for a week or two beforehand and use a Beaphar spot on calm the day of travel. You can also but pete Remedy spray to spray his bedding (give him well used bedding and do not wash it) and the crate before the flight.

leashedForLife likes this.
  6. Jordan003

Thanks for the replies everyone. Its probably around 20 - 22 hours including the transit and everything. I hope he will be well taken good care of through out the flight im really nervous because this is his first (And last time) flying in a plane. I bought the biggest airline approved cage I could find for cats. It came with a hocked food and water bowls so that's good because it saves space. Im going tomorrow to buy a litter box to fit into the cage and im going to put his bed and his favorite toy in there as well. Hopfully everything goes well.

huckybuck likes this.
  7. Jordan003

Oh also he doesn't mind being in carriers whenever I open the door to a carrier he hopes right in right away and I just close it and were out the door. So Im already getting him used to his traveling cage, It just traveling that he hates. He doesn't like being away from me either since were so bonded. I always have to take him out of the carrier and hold him in the car if we are going to the vet or hold his carrier and have my finger poking throu and he calms down. So I feel so so bad that Im not taking him with me in cabin. But my mom told me its better to put him in cargo because the cabin area is stuffy and he will be in a WAY smaller cage with no litter box since he has to fit under the seat in front of me.

8. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Our imports and exports get water but food and litter trays are not allowed, so be sure to check with your agent before making purchases.
    You also don't want too large of a crate as the cat may feel insecure.

Sometimes there is a watering and welfare check depending on stop overs.
    Never had any issues with our cats travelling :)

huckybuck and leashedForLife like this.
  9. leashedForLife

U can always give him a T-shirt U've worn for a day, or wear one as pajamas & then put that in his travel crate to cuddle on - the scent of a familiar person is a big comfort.
    I'd want to ask someone SPECIFIC to notify U when he's loaded at each of the 3 stops - so he doesn't get left behind or misdirected & put on the wrong plane [those things do sometimes happen]. U can ask the steward / stewardess to check with the apropos person on the ground, stewards will either know or can more-easily find out [than passengers can] who is responsible for loading live cargo, & then confirm he's safely aboard.

mrs phas and huckybuck like this.
  10. huckybuck

The dispatcher (red cap) is the best person to liaise with if you can get direct contact.. they are on the ground airside and liase between ground and air crew and close the flight for take off. You may be able to contact the airline and ask for a message to be sent to the dispatcher on duty. It will be up to them though if they want to keep you updated.

Alternatively and in addition I would get in touch with live animal cargo at all the airports and let them know your concerns. Ask politely if they will keep an eye out for your boy and keep you in the loop as to his progress.

leashedForLife likes this.
  11. huckybuck

If I had a choice I would def keep the cat in the cabin with you. Far less stressful for him if he hates travelling and if he is so bonded with you. And if he doesn't mind a carrier either....

However if he ends up cargo please consider using some of the calming things I mentioned earlier as it will help to reduce his stress.

12. SpringDance

SpringDance PetForums VIP

Do you have a pet travel agent who will also be on hand (by phone) to speak to the airlines if needed if you can't.

I think I read puppy pad or two to line the bottom with a layer or two of vet bed on top for comfort and to wick away the moisture.

You cannot guarantee that the animal will definitely be on the same plane as you, so you need to know what you would do if you ended up going on ahead or were delayed.

13. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

SpringDance and leashedForLife like this.
  14. leashedForLife

most airlines have limits on the # of pets allowed in cabin on a flight [2 to 3 is the max i've heard, so far] & also the crate must fit UNDER a seat, entirely - can't sit by the bulkhead or prevent someone sitting comfortably in front of / above the crate.
    Plus if he cries, there WILL be complaints - if he's in the cargo area, there's no one to cry "to", so he's less likely to shout & will hunker down for the duration.
    He may not be happy - but he won't be loudly declaiming his unhappiness to a crowd of strangers in close quarters. :(

chillminx and SusieRainbow like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice