Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do I need to take my cat to the vet?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by charlytune, Jul 18, 2009.

1. charlytune

charlytune PetForums Newbie

She's about she's about 10 years old, and I noticed yesterday she's lost her voice, instead of mioawing / whinging at me like usual it's just a little squeak. Today, every now & then she has appeared to be going to throw up but then nothing happens, this stops quite quickly. She doesn't seem to have drunk any water for the last couple of days, but her appetite seems fine (as she has been loitering by her bowl for the last couple of hours, as usual!) In herself she seems a bit subdued, and is moving slowly. Her eyes seem fine and she doesn't have a runny nose, but I'm still a bit concerned in could be cat flu. :frown5:

Does anyone think I need to get her to a vet, or will it be nothing serious?

Would be greatful for any thoughts / advice.

(Oh, and hello, I'm new here!)

2. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

If she is still eating and in no pain then i'd say call your vet on monday just for a chat, though i don't think it would hurt to take her in just to be sure all is well.

3. Rraa

Rraa PetForums VIP

I would get the vet's advice - could be nothing but rather check it out than leave it until too late - it could be something that is easily treated.

4. JoWDC

JoWDC PetForums VIP

Hi Charlytune, welcome to PF.

Sorry to hear your cat is feeling off colour. If you are really worried, take her to the vets on Monday for general health check - they won't mind.

Let us know how she gets on.

5. charlytune

Thanks, you kind of confirm what I was feeling, that if she's no better by Monday a trip to the vets would be wise. Thought I might pop to the shop & buy some bottled water for her, as i know they can be sensitive to whts in the tap water. Have also bought her some coley portions so she's got a really healthy dinner! So if she's not poorly she'll be doing quite well out of this. Her age worries me a bit though, as this could just be a sign she's getting on a bit :crying: we're not very sure how old she is

6. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

Please try not to worry too much, we all feel a little off sometimes, and i'm hoping it will be nothing. Please let us know how you both get on. x

7. Misi

Misi PetForums VIP

My cat had a bout of cat flu recently. She had it as a kitten and at times of stress becomes unwell. As a result of this latest bout, she lost her voice completely. It's since returned, sort of. When she's berating the kitten (source of said stress), it's loud and clear, but otherwise it's this feeble squeak! This is about 3 months on! I've kept the vet informed and she said cats losing their voice is one of those perennial mysteries. My cat's okay in herself otherwise, so to be honest I've left it. She had a very sore mouth and throat at he height of her flu and I think it might have left its mark on her vocal chords. At least I know she is capable of miaowing if provoked enough!! She's 16 by the way! 10 is nothing these days...

I'd say have a word with your vet over the phone and see what they suggest. If you need to take her in at least they'll be able to get her mouth open wide and have a good look down her throat. Better to be safe than sorry.

8. charlytune

Thanks for the advice, it seemed to clear up on its own. I started adding water to her food, that seemed to do the trick. I think for some reason she has gone off the tap water, and thats why she lost her voice. Am still adding the water for now, I am keeping an eye on here still though.

Thakns for your advice everyone

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice