Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do i need to freeze bedding?

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by Piptherussiandwarf, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Piptherussiandwarf

Piptherussiandwarf PetForums Newbie

So, do i need to freeze bedding? my freezer is pretty small and the bags are too big to fit... is it ok to not freeze them? also i have a few questions based on freezing their food. Do i freeze it in the bag or do i transfer it to a sandwhich box type thing? or a glass jar? which do i freeze it in and store it in? Thanks :)

2. Arny

Arny PetForums Senior

I'm not sure why you would freeze bedding but re freezing food, it comes up a lot in some groups I'm in and the general consensus is not to do it.
    It develops ice crystals, no matter how sealed, so when thawed dampens the food creating mold.

ForestWomble likes this.
  3. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

What bedding is it?
    I've heard of freezing paper bedding to kill any bugs that might be living in it.
    If you are using wood shavings then you don't need to freeze that.

As for food, you don't need to freeze that as @Arny said above.

4. Piptherussiandwarf

yeh it’s carefresh paper bedding y’know? so yeh i’m not sure. i probably won’t freeze anything at all to be honest

5. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

I'd recommend freezing carefresh as I've had a run of bad luck with unfrozen carefresh having bugs. Food you can leave. As long as it's kept in an airtight container once opened to help keep it fresh :)

Piptherussiandwarf likes this.
  6. Piptherussiandwarf

Thank you! I can't fit any bags of it in my freezer though, do you think seperating it into multiple zip lock sandwhich bags would work? and how long for, like 24 hours at least? Would i have to freeze kaytee clean + cozy?

7. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

I've not had any issue with kaytee so that should be fine. If you don't have room to freeze it then don't bother. I had the issue when I previously owned rats and haven't used it since.

Piptherussiandwarf likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice