Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

do i just wait for my puppy to be able to hold for the toilet all night?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by emmaj89, Aug 14, 2011.

1. emmaj89

emmaj89 PetForums Newbie

hi, my puppy is pretty much sorted toilet training throughout the day, she goes to the door and waits for me to let her out, or if i havnt seen her she with let out a cry to let me know. but night times, i use paper and cover a large area at the back door. mornings are a nightmare with lots of tidying up, im going back to work tomorrow after time off to train her, this is going to be a little bit of a pain cleaning and getting to work on time. i was wondering, if i reduce the size of the paper when we put her to bed will this encourage her to hold a bit more? or if i remove the paper altogether will this help her to hold?

thanks

2. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

how old is your puppy?

3. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

How old is she ?

By putting paper down you are encouraging her to toilet inside the house.

Can you not wake up in the night to take her out to the toilet :confused:

Have you considered crate training her over night to help with night time toilet training ?

4. LolaBear

LolaBear PetForums Junior

Personally, I wouldn't put any paper down at all. She is basically learning that during the day I have to go out to pee, but at night time, it's okay because I can just use the paper.

Of course, if she is still very young, there maybe some time to go yet as little ones can;t hold their bladders/bowls for a long period of time. I take it you don't crate her? Maybe try setting an alarm in the night to let her out in the garden?

5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I would suggest getting up during the night to let her out too, then you can gradually increase the time before you let her out until she's holding all night.

Her age is a factor here too - she might not physically have the control to hold it that long, plus if she is still on 4 meals a day and one of those meals is close to bed time that will affect things too.

6. emmaj89

emmaj89 PetForums Newbie

she is 10weeks old. no we decided crate training wasnt for us, but now im not to sure, but with her been pretty much sorted and she settles at night now i didnt think it was good to change her routine :s the only problem with the night time get ups is we both work late and start work early so would be abit of a strain, but if this is the only option, what ever is best for the pup is the right thing to do :)

7. SixStar

SixStar Banned

She definitely needs to be let out in the night - at 10 weeks most pups can't hold overnight, and using paper just confuses them.

8. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

At 10 weeks you definitely need to be letting her out midway through the night - she can't hold that long until morning

9. emmaj89

emmaj89 PetForums Newbie

thanks everyone, its going to have to be considered as i really dont want to confuse her. so this is definatley an option. stressful one but definatley top of the list :) iv also been told they dont really know how to hold their bladder until after 12 weeks also so she is still quite young. but the advice is much appreciated.

10. PinkEars

PinkEars PetForums VIP

Hi There

I've just toilet trained my now 12 week puppy and i swear by the crate its worked like a dream. In 4 weeks of having him he has never once been to the toilet over night and i only had to get up in the night for the first week or so and now he goes from 11 till about 6.30 no problems.

11. WarFlyball

WarFlyball PetForums Member

Would also highly recommend a crate - not only great for toilet training but also they are then used to them and if you go to stay at relatives houses etc it is far less stressful for everyone if they know the dog will be 'contained' overnight or if you go out :) We find ours love their crates and will seek out time in them to chill...

12. LolaBoo

LolaBoo PetForums VIP

She deffo needs waking thro the night to have a wee

We used to set the alarm to do lola she would have a wee then straight back to her crate no interaction at all

She is 15 weeks tomorrow and goes right thro now but i still before we go to bed wake her for a wee no need to in night now tho

13. springerpete

springerpete PetForums VIP

Personally I think you're asking an awful lot of a ten week old puppy, my youngster is seventeen weeks and I still get up at 5.30 to ensure he has no accidents, for the first couple of weeks it was 3.A.M.
    You say that you go to work early and get home late, did you consider this before you bought the pup.??I know it's none of my business but who looks after the little one all day??

14. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

my boy was about 10 weeks old when he started going dry through the night BUT i slept with him next to me so that i could take him out every couple of hours or would wake up if he moved and rush him out. if i hadn`t have done that then i`m sure he`d have been much longer. i would also take him out for his last toilet at 12am(ish) then my oh would be up for work about 530 so overnight in this house was never actually really long. if you don`t wanna sleep with her close then setting an alarm every so often to get up is the only other option but as others have said i`d remove the paper right away

just as an aside, you say you both work late and start early so how long would the pup be left on her own?

15. axl

axl Guest

the way i did it was to make the area of paper smaller and smaller over a period of time.... he got it within days
    but they are all different my other dog just cried from the off...
    but i would advise to make the area covered in paper smaller by one sheet every other night... especially if he/she hits the paper every time xx

16. Debxan

Debxan PetForums Member

I have a 14 week old Manchester Terrier and he stopped going out in the middle of the night at 12 weeks. I do get up just before 6 am though and let him out just in case. I would recommend a crate - Monty only messed in his once. His crate is just outside our bedroom on the landing so when he wanted to "go" in the night he cried and I leapt out of bed and dashed him outside. I really think crates help with house training.

Good luck - I know how tiring it can be getting up in the small hours!

17. scarter

scarter PetForums Member

When we got our first pup (now 4) I wanted to to everything right. I set the alarm every three hours or so, hauled her out of her crate and took her out into the mid-winter cold for a pee. After about two weeks of this I happened to mention it to someone - they burst out laughing - our girl was 12 weeks when we got her and perfectly capable of going through the whole night!

Our little boy was 7 weeks when we got him but toilet trained from day one. Never once pee'd in the house and didn't need to go through the night. He just seemed to copy his big sister.

18. auntiekatie

auntiekatie PetForums Junior

What if one is unable to get up in the night and the pup is crated?

Can a larger crate be used and one half be used for sleep, whilst the other half has a Pee Pad for elimination during puppy's sleep between midnight and seven a.m.?

Please advise.

Thanks

19. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Well technically you could, but you might find it stalls the puppy's training as it is effectively teaching that toileting inside the house is ok.

I know it seems like a mission to wake up in the middle of the night but it is usually only a very short time until the puppy learns to hold. If the last toilet trip out was at midnight you'd probably only have to wake once in the night between then and 7am.

Night wake-ups are all part of raising a puppy really...

20. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

in my opinion a dog should never be encouraged to toilet in their sleeping area regardless if it`s bigger than their bed, it can only lead to problems later on and in all honesty part of the point of using a crate is to help with toilet training not just enclose it so it can only toilet in that area. is there any reason why you wouldn`t be able to get up through the night? i think that`s only to be expected with a puppy and i think toilet training will be extremely difficult and drawn out if the pup doesn`t have regular toiler breaks whilst training.

i`ll be the first to admit getting up at all hours is a nightmare, my oh has to work stupid hours and doesn`t get much sleep as it is so he was practically like a zombie while we were training jake and i found it harder as i was on what was basically sleeping pills at the time. it really is worth it and does pay off quite quickly with consistency :)

#20 Leah84, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice