Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do I have the naughtiest puppy on this forum?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lucysmum, Aug 10, 2009.

1. lucysmum

lucysmum PetForums Member

I think Lucy has hit adolescents.....

She is almost 6 months old, and is driving me crackers. She seems to have all her big teeth now, so i dont think its teething.

She is destructive, and shreds EVERYTHING and 99% of the time swallows what she's shredded!!!

Today we have had, my glasses case shredded, a light from the garden dragged in and off she ran behind the sofa to try to eat that!! She has chewed and shredded all around the edges of TWO beds now in her crate, today there was foam peices EVERYWHERE !

She has broken and damaged so much in our house its untrue. Yes i know i should move stuff away from her and i do, but she finds anything and just wants to break it.

She is escaping to my next door neighbours garden as soon as i let her outside, ive put some fencing up now, hopefully that will stop. My neighbour brought her back yesterday after she caught her trying to get into her kitchen cuboards!! oh my how embarrassing. Luckily i have a great neighbour.

I just dont know what to do with her at the moment. She is having a walk a day and she has a gd run on this walk, off her lead. She even found a babies pooey nappy on her walk the other day and eat the contents of that, (sme ppl are disgusting).

At the moment while im typing this she is dragging two brushes from the kitchen and chewing the brush bits off them.

Can anyone identify with this, and give me any helpful tips please???? :cursing::cursing:

#1 lucysmum, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  2. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

ha ha ha. . . . . so sorry to laugh and ime sure your not laughing, what a little monkey, she sounds a right handfull, she sounds a normal healthy, happy puppy to me, sorry ime still laughing but i can just picture the scene and you racing around trying to keep up, making your apologies to your neighbour while shes onto the next thing. Oh dear:D:D

3. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Oh yes I relate, my boy would give her a run for her money!! At four months old Rupert had eaten two holes in the wall, actually through plaster and paint, and he does things like munch on skirting boards quite frequently unless you smother them in pepper! He has had a good go at all the cables and gas pipes too, grabbing the toilet brush because some silly people leave the toilet door open etc so paper gets EVERYWHERE as he does his andrex puppy impression and so on, I can relate :eek:

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Dave has never (neither did Dixie) chewed or done anything he shouldn't have (yet!)
    The one time he chewed something was my fault for forgetting to give him a chew.
    Until I felt he was old/sensible enough, if I couldn't have my attention 100% on him, he was in his crate/pen with some safe chews and toys.

x

5. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

couldnt you just watch him while your there and when your not put him in a crate?

if you see him biting sumthing say no and tap his nose train him not to :)

sounds cutey too me tho little terror haha

6. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

i had never experienced chewing until i had two boy pups at six months lol now i find olbas oil, one drop is enough where they tend to chew stops them in their tracks, it is a very potent smell, works on walls and new dining room furniture!!

7. Ty-bo

Ty-bo PetForums Senior

Im glad Im not the only one :p

You could almost be describing Lottie!
    Her toys and chews are obviously not interesting anymore so she has moved on to bigger and better things :rolleyes: Last week her and Ty had a folded over king size duvet-it now looks like a cotton wool factory in the kitchen, we 'had' open ends on the kitchen units with little wooden rails round them-now reduced to splinters, the insoles from my trainers-missing, jigsaw pieces-pulp and tonight she peed on the sofa :( despite being let out literally 5 mins before hand.
    The elderly man across the lane likes to sit out in his front garden so if she spots him all recall attempts fall on very deaf ears-after jamming her nose up their disgruntled persians butt she then goes on to headbut him in places not ment for an unruly staffy's head :blushing: (Ty enjoys this 'game' with me!)

Im sure she'll grow out of it soon......???

8. lucysmum

oh goddddddddddd....

I just read the and somehow i dont feel so bad now. Im laughing but i dont know why, cuz id like to cry really.

Does any of your pups actually swallow what they chew, mine swallows anything from kitchen roll, to leather on our shoes. WHE will she stop???? i wont have anything left in our house soon.

9. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

What are you feeding Lucy? If you're feeding her Bakers or similar it's like aviation fuel for dogs. It's pure rubbish. Look at the content of any treats she gets. It can all have an effect.

If you're feeding her a balanced diet she may very well be bored. Do you spend time training her? She could be crying out for something to stimulate her brain.

If the food isn't an issue you may very welll have a highly intelligent dog who needs the dog equivelant of a rubiks cube :D

10. lucysmum

I feed her hills prescriptive puppy food chicken dried.....

I feed her 3 times a day, she does have some treats. Im slightly worried she isnt stimulated enough, she has a good walk once a day and plays on our garden which is huge, with plenty of hidey holes. She did start puppy classes but weve been away most of summer holidays so its lapsed. I will go back with her.

What sort of stimulation does anyone suggest when sat down at night?

11. jaxx

jaxx PetForums VIP

My mum's shih tzu was exactly the same. We couldn't leave anything lying around, including my shoes, socks, feet, handbags, walls, hands etc. Mum had once left her handbag on the floor by her chair and after a quick trip out we came home to find all it's contents strewn across the floor and him covered in strepsils. We also found an empty packet of valerian tablets and had to ring the vet to find out if he'll be ok.

We found the best way to cope with it is to play with him until he's tired out and then he should sleep. Or buy him plenty of chewy toys. I found Nylabones to be a really good way to keep a puppy occupied or even a Kong.

We still have to make sure he can't reach anything as he'll still steal stuff and shred it to pieces.

12. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

:lol::lol::lol::lol: I know i shouldnt laugh but i cant help it..
    Sorry :blushing:

13. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    When Suzie, our old dog was a pup she used to chew our kitchen cupboards, and pinch my socks..

14. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

After tonight I think I have quite a naughty puppy!! Poppy slept quite a lot tonight and OMG did it show, when trying to play with her after she woke up she decided my hands, feet and trousers were much better than her rope chews :eek:ut:

Shes not in my good books tonight lol

15. davehyde

davehyde Banned

i dont feel at all as bad as i did now lol.

it's good to know there are worse pups than mine was.

mine was a little land shark with his baby teeth, but never chewed anything we never let him have except my hands and ears.

we were always there with a chew or a toy, it gave me nightmares keeping on top of him but it paid off.

he will shred paper but we give him certain types, and he wont eat it.

pulled a few soft toys apart but we get them from car boots and stuff as they dont last long.

she will grow out of it just keep on top and try to teach her whats wrong to chew on.

16. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

God I hope so, we always have her rope toys on standby but sometimes human flesh is all she wants lol, is there any noise or action I can take to reinforce this??

17. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

You could do some training with her. Someting to get the brain working.

You could also try the puppy Kong stuffed with something she only gets in the Kong. Block one hole with peanut butter and freeze it. Then put in a small amount of sardine mashed into a paste and mixed with a little water, then freeze that too. We didn't have a chewer puppy but she went NUTS for it. The Kong is more of a licking action and it really wears them out.

18. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

I would always be very wary about using a noise to startle the dog. It can lead to issues. If they become afraid of the noise when they are touching you they can associate human touch with fear.

Mabel loves tennis balls. If she was over excited and tried to snap the ball out of our hands we would cover it with our hand and put it behind our backs and say "no" in a very steady tone, not shouting. When she was calm, and sitting of course, we would offer the ball again and say "gently". As she would be more wary the next time she would take it more gently and she gets rewarded by getting the ball and a "good girl".

Now she knows without doubt what "gently" means.

19. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

Monty was really naughty and will still play with the loo rolls and i have paper everywhere.He will swallow everything if he thinks i want them so i tought him to swap for a treat . Now if i ask him what he's got he usually brings it to me. I managed to rescue a live mouse from him before he swallowed it this way but admit only the tail was visible. The thing wasn't a bit grateful it bit me as i was taking it into the field opposite to let it go so i guess it was ok

20. AlexT

AlexT PetForums Member

I can Identify with this, although my little on is 10months old, she chew when she was teething and then she stopped and has recently started again. Although if it is the house she only tends to shread paper or anything left on the floor in a carrier bag like loo roll, baby wipes. Mainly her chewing is out doors stuff like twiggs, leaves, gardening tools, anything my OH may leave outside, the end of the hose or her brush. It is starting to get slightly out of hand because she is making her self sick with some of the things she gets hold of.

Oh yeah also forgot she managed to pull a kitchen draw out once and chewed a washing up pad from that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice