Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do I have anything to worry about with my cat?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Cheryl89, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Cheryl89

Sooooo, last few days I've noticed Bugsy constantly hiccuping .... is that weird? or normal?

Last night she kept me awake all night acting really strange and just a slight hiccup in every purr? x

2. Cheryl89

Bumped for some cat pro advice pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee xxx

3. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Gosh, i dont know and cant help you with this, sorry.
    Maybe just phone the vet for advise as they will tell you. xx

4. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Sam occasionally got hiccups when he was a kitten, it was generally after eating and only lasted a few minutes. Sorry don't know what to suggest, agree with CC to perhaps just give the vet a call to put your mind at rest :)
    Em

Cheryl89 likes this.
  5. Cheryl89

Hey sweetie, how you feeling now?

She just got home from the vets and they said it's actually okay, but tbh in my opinion she's been hiccuping excessively the last few days so I'm wondering what it could be :(

She's barely touching water since her op so I'm thinking her cone is hindering her doing so?? xxxxxxx

Yeh Bugsy was hiccuping all down my ear last night, and she's being unusually needy since her op... like so needy she needs to sit on my head?

I'm hoping it's just a phase because she's in a bit of pain from her op

Thank you my lovely ladies!!! xxxxxxx

6. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

Maybe the op or anaesthetic has upset her digestion, but I don't think its anything to worry about,as your vet said

7. AtticusRavel

AtticusRavel PetForums Member

In humans (as far as I know) there it's not really known why hicups start. Is a contraction of the diaprhagm that occurs involuntarily. Like the ryhthm of your breath gets altered. My grandfather had a bout of hiccups after an operation and it laster for about a week. It was pretty intense, but al was fine and it ended up disappearing by itself. This is maybe a bit too hocus poucs, but I would try to hold your cat and breath slowly and calmly to see weather he can slow down his breath and help him find the balance with the diafraghm. No medical basis on this what so ever.. Instinctively is what I would try.

8. AtticusRavel

AtticusRavel PetForums Member

Forgive my typos, I'm on the go. When to holding your cat and the breathing, I'd try when he is relaxed, of course, no point if that is going to stress him out. But if he is fine with him grab him a hold him close while you breath!

Cheryl89 likes this.
  9. Cheryl89

Thank you hunni, to be honest I'm willing to try anything, my poor love :( xxx

10. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Sometimes they trap a lot of air in the abdomen when they operate, at least, they do in humans. This can sometimes lead to hiccupping and birping until it settles. Mind you, were she mine I'd be worried to, so although it's likely nothing to worry about, you have my sympathies!

11. Toby Tyler

Toby Tyler Banned

Also agree that with the recent surgery there could be air trapped in her diaphragm.

I've had cats hiccup but not for extended periods. Try getting her to eat something really sticky, for humans a tsp. of sugar works. Not suggesting this for Bugsy though! The process of trying to dissolve the sugar relaxes the diaphragm muscles which alleviates hiccups. It really works!

You could also try some gentle massage of her diaphragm area to try to relax the muscle contractions.

Best of luck! Keep us posted.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice