UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of course I won't really - this is Gatsby I'm talking about! However, he is a rescue cat and had a poor start in life - runt of the litter, not really wanted, left out until the early hours as a kitten. I just wondered if I he will always be a little bit standoffish as a result? He has never sat on my lap and, although I can persuade him onto the bed, he will move to the far corner. He will stand for being picked up and cuddled ... Albeit with an 'okay, I will tolerate this mad woman' face. Please don't misunderstand me, Gatsby is here for life but can you make a cat that - for background reasons - doesn't feel 'special' into a a 'soppy' cat? He is adorable and will run to the door when I call him. We do have a very special bond but I would love him to curl up next to me on the sofa? I am asking too much? K
Ps he is a year and 4 months old now. Has been with me since he was 8 months.

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
whilst i was with cp, we had a kitten very nervous and it took 3 years for her to settle down into a lap cat.
all i can say is dont give up but also dont expect anything then you wont be disappointed. sorry cant really say more than this.:)

·
Registered
664 Posts
I wouldn't panic... My mum's cat Moo is the same! She is not a fan of being picked up, and fussing is on her own terms... She is only a lap cat when she wants to be one. But most of the time she doesn't. She wasn't the runt or anything. But i'm sure she'll turn into one eventually. She's just over two years old now. :)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, that is encouraging! I think he was starting to do well and then got trapped in a neighbour's house for 8 days and that has really set him back. He has a lovely nature but doesn't seem to expect any love. I am thinking of another cat for company for him when I am out of work but... Is this a good idea at this stage? I would hate to think he felt pushed out all over again. Should I leave this for a while?

·
Registered
664 Posts
That's kinda up to you... When i got Jeremy my kitten, Moo was not impressed at all! But then she'd never met a kitten before unless it was one of her siblings when she was a kitten. She's fine with him now though. Do you have other animals with him? If so that might make things easier for him to see them accept the new cat. I know Ben my older cat accepted Jeremy a lot better than Moo, and i think that helped her because she soon realised he wasn't going to hurt her! She just didn't like him haha

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
I got Cookie when she was 6 months old, she is now 17 months. She has never really wanted to sit on my lap and she hates being picked up. Tonight I have felt very priveledged as she has sat on my knee each time I sat down, she only just got off when I went to change position.

So I am sure if my BSH girl will come round your Gatsby can to :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
My Leo is super duper loving but he will NOT lay on my lap! He lays on a cushion next to me no probs but if I pat my lap and say come on here he has none of it. He loves being picked up and cuddled though. He can't get enough of this kisses mid air! My other cat susie hates even being picked up and likes her four paws firmly on the floor and has given me the occasional growl when I force my cuddles and hugs on her. She does best with head rubs when "I" am on all fours on the bed or floor and "she" comes to "me" its so cute and then I know she loves me!! :001_wub::001_wub:

Every cat is different and show their love in different ways.

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Oh bless him! They do say that a kitten's experiences up to 7 weeks of age can greatly affect how sociable they are when older, and if he was unwanted then that is probably why he finds it harder to bond. I am sure your love can help him to do that, though :)

Treacle and Pixie were difficult kittens to bond with for a while, but they did come from a 'colony' really, with lots of other cats and kittens around, rather than getting much 1-2-1 attention, whereas Jumpy and I bonded straight away, even though he was already 4 months old!!

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I've had Rosie a year next month! She's from a rescue was a breeding queen! She has never sat on my knee at home but has twice at the boat?? Also at home she will jump on the bed but jumps straight off, at the boat she curls up on the bed behind my knees?? I have no idea why she's so confident at the boat and not at home, she puts one leg on my knee at home as if she's daring herself to lay down but just can't quite summon up the courage to do so bless her :confused:

·
Slave to the Hairy Hikers
12,358 Posts
Of course I won't really - this is Gatsby I'm talking about! However, he is a rescue cat and had a poor start in life - runt of the litter, not really wanted, left out until the early hours as a kitten. I just wondered if I he will always be a little bit standoffish as a result? He has never sat on my lap and, although I can persuade him onto the bed, he will move to the far corner. He will stand for being picked up and cuddled ... Albeit with an 'okay, I will tolerate this mad woman' face. Please don't misunderstand me, Gatsby is here for life but can you make a cat that - for background reasons - doesn't feel 'special' into a a 'soppy' cat? He is adorable and will run to the door when I call him. We do have a very special bond but I would love him to curl up next to me on the sofa? I am asking too much? K
Ps he is a year and 4 months old now. Has been with me since he was 8 months.
He probably will, some day, but you will need a lot of patience. Steps that will take a week or a month with another cat, may take a year with him. But slowly but steadily, he will come round.
Not all cats are lap cats, ant that doesn't have anything to do with being a rescue cat or a feral, but with character. They all have their own way of showing their love and appreciation.....

·
Slave to the Hairy Hikers
12,358 Posts
I've had Rosie a year next month! She's from a rescue was a breeding queen! She has never sat on my knee at home but has twice at the boat?? Also at home she will jump on the bed but jumps straight off, at the boat she curls up on the bed behind my knees?? I have no idea why she's so confident at the boat and not at home, she puts one leg on my knee at home as if she's daring herself to lay down but just can't quite summon up the courage to do so bless her :confused:
Maybe because the boat is still 'strange', and she turns to you for reassurance....

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Maybe because the boat is still 'strange', and she turns to you for reassurance....
No I don't think it is that, I think it's cos she's totally relaxed on the boat because she feels its nuetral territory because its new and oscar isnt as confident there, rather than in the house where Oscar is overly confident, and she feels shes in his territory! That's my theory anyway lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.