Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do I get my windscreen repaired or not?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GoldenShadow, Mar 23, 2011.

1. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I've got a chip about 3mm in the driver's eyeline on my windscreen you are allowed one up to 10mm and hence my car passed it's MOT fine a couple months back.

I go over loads of speed bumps and housing estates are very bumpy to drive along so I was going to get it fixed with Autoglass but 1) I know the windscreen can crack meaning you pay like £150 excess and I think that would affect my no claims and 2) my uncle had three windscreens from autoglass as they kept screwing up and have scratched all his car where they took the windscreen out and I know that's my local branch...

What would you do? I always want to be on the safe side but I do not want to end up losing my no claims over something like this..! Or with a scratched to death car if I need a new one :(

2. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Have you checked your policy? Sometimes windscreens don't affect your no claims.:D

3. GoldenShadow

I know the chip repair doesn't and I just pay £10 but I can't find out from my documents if the windscreen needs replacing whether that does or not.

Either way, think my windscreen excess is £150 don't reallyyyyyyy fancy paying that :eek:

This is the situation where if I get it fixed I will bugger myself over and if I don't I will bugger myself over isn't it :(

4. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

I personaly would get it fixed.But then i'm one those people that if something needs to be done on the cars i'd prefer it done and out of the way.:D

5. metame

metame PetForums VIP

i'd just get it fixed to.
    i mucked up ours and autoglass repaired it - ours were good, but we didnt notice when it was just a chip and so ours was a crack and we had to pay the excess...

and they put new panel things on the side as well cause he said ours looked really rough and messy :thumbup:

better safe than sorry?

and thought they gave you a guarantee for however long you have the car once they've replaced it?

6. GoldenShadow

I like my insurance company :D

I rang up to check a couple things the paperwork is a bit confusing :eek:

My total excess is never more than £400 (I'm under 21, from 21-24 its £250 no idea after that)
    For fire and theft I pay a £150 excess
    For windscreen replacement I pay £75
    For windscreen repairs I pay £10

And none of the windscreen stuff affects my NCB :thumbup:

Now I need to double check who to go with, turns out my insurance go with Autoglass and Auto Windscreens I've heard more about the first though...

7. GoldenShadow

Haha I just rang Autoglass, apparently if its 3mm or less/size of a matchstick head there is no point in them trying to repair it because it wont be big enough for the resin to really stick and there is not really any risk of extra damage so the guy said I can double check its size but if its of that size or smaller just leave it :D

I will have to go check its size now :eek:

8. Gilly and Jess

Gilly and Jess PetForums Senior

I was going to say it's probably too small for them to bother with, but then you could be in the position where you go over a speed bump and it gets bigger and goes straight to a crack!

Most insurers tell you it doesn't affect your no claims, which it doesn't at the time, but if you've had your windscreen replaced, when it's time to renew they sting you right in the ass for it!! Happened to my ex, he was most upset!

And I think you'll find Auto Windscreens have just gone bust so stick with Autoglass if you do need to get it done in the future....;)

9. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

Windscreen replacement doesn't affect our no claims.

Autoglass broke a windscreen trying to put on in and were a nightmare to get that one replaced.

But it's worth it to fix this tiny crack, less hassle than having the whole windscreen done

10. GoldenShadow

They said its too small to fix

That sucks, so much for doesn't affect Mum was like oh but if it does need replacing etc you have to tell any new prospective insurers too..!

Thing is the guy side the size mine is the resin wont stick, so I guess I can't get it done anyway...And if its this small he said the risks are virtually nil, then I might go to get it fixed and it might bust my windscreen anyway :(

I do go over loads of speed bumps and crappy roads but there is way around it.

11. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

saw that after i posted :)

we had to go not through our insurance to get ours replaced and it cost nearly £400!!!!!!

12. blackdiamond

blackdiamond PetForums Senior

My insurance states windscreen replacement is £75 & does not affect my NCB.

I had to have a new windscreen back in Decemeber due to the MOT coming up on my Range Rover as had a massive crack in it. I paid £75 & when speaking to the technician i did ask how much it would of been without putting it through my insurance & he said 'you wouldn't of got any change out of £300' !

XxX

13. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

Get autoglass to come put this stuff on it! It will stop it cracking anymore. But if you are in a crash it will be weaker and more likely to smash because there is a weak spot. Its normally something like a £70 excess for your windscreen but I does affect my no claims and I'm with admiral!

But admiral are crap. £750 excess, £115 a month and boosted price from £800 to nearly £1400 when I couldn't pay all a once!

#13 CharleyRogan, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice