Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do I cancel?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by McKenzie, Dec 20, 2020.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Hi all,

Just after some opinions on this.

McKenzie is now 10. Because we lived in the UK for her first 18 months, when I took out insurance here there were a few pre-exisiting conditions which aren't covered. She has a heart murmur - not covered as it appeared before we moved. She is on incontinence meds - not covered because she had a UTI before we moved. She had some bad ear infections this year - not covered because she had an ear infection before we moved.

Because of her age, I pay 35% of any claim, plus a $150 excess.

Up until this point, insurance had still been worth it, but now her policy payment has gone up again and I'm not sure, with the exclusions, that it's worth it any more.

I'm thinking of cancelling and starting to pay into her own bank account. I do have some savings at the moment if something horrendous suddenly happens, but will eventually use those savings so need to be able to rely on the bank account.

I think this is the right choice to make, but cancelling her insurance is a bit scary so would like a bit of perspective please!

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I cancelled Jack’s about 3 years ago as the premiums shot up.

I too have savings but at 12+ I wouldn’t be putting him through big ops or nasty, long treatments and feel sure I can manage any vet bills for minor ailments going forward.

Here, membership of Dogs Trust gives him Public Liability insurance so that’s something separate to think about.

Sarah H, O2.0, LinznMilly and 3 others like this.
  3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Thanks :) That's a good point about doing major ops - see as McKenzie is only 10 I would consider 'significant' treatments if things popped up in the next few years.

I don't think public liability is a 'thing' here, but will check that out.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Nothing helpful to add, except I thought you were going to ask if you should cancel your forthcoming trip so you could join our Zoom party after all. The answer was obviously yes.

SusieRainbow and LinznMilly like this.
  5. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

I did just that with Daisy when her insurance, having never claimed on it, got ridiculous when she turned 10. Already had a little amount in a Building Society book so that book became Daisy's insurance. I paid in every month, upping it each year, at what the insurance would have cost. Any annual injections, wormer, small payments I paid out of pocket. Daisy lived to 17 & I never had to touch HER Building Society book. I continued to pay in as I knew I would at some time get another dog & do exactly the same. Daisy's BS Book now has just over £10K in it. I am with Petplan for Emma & as soon as the insurance becomes ridiculous I will cancel & put my faith in Daisy's BS Book.

Lurcherlad, LinznMilly and Burrowzig like this.
  6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I changed mine to accident and injury a couple of years ago. The premiums are really cheap and if one of them needed orthopaedic surgery after an accident I would be covered.

Lurcherlad and DaisyBluebell like this.
  7. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I cancelled mine last year with pet plan as it was £150 a month I was going through a divorce and money was extremely tight. I had a CC on standby in case. It did make me worry not having the cover. Now that is all sorted I have gone with Tesco. No issues claiming when Sox was unwell. I think it’s ok to cancel if the worst happens and you have savings. I met a couple whose poodle got hit by a car £7500 vet fees.

DaisyBluebell likes this.
  8. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

You just know as soon as you cancel something will come up ;)
    If you put away what you pay in insurance and accounting for the fact you have to pay a chunk of any claim anyway I think you'd have a good amount pretty quickly.

My previous dog was insured but my current one isn't, she was 9 when we got her with a list of pre-existing conditions as long as your arm and I'm not sure I'd insure no matter the age now.
    If you want/need public liability check your household insurance as some cover it.

As with Blitz my vet suggested accident/injury cover but as it turns out my dog doesn't really go off lead so the chance of her being badly hurt is quite slim so we've not bothered with that either.

Lurcherlad and DaisyBluebell like this.
  9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Which is why I went with accident and injury. Even with Candy's multiple problems and life long medication I have never had a bill for very much.

10. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I’ve never claimed for Sox until this year it’s so hard to know.

11. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Hmm I would have agreed with everyone else and said cancel but last year Barley had a ruptured cruciate aged almost 12 years which cost over £2,500. Tremor is now 12.1/2 yrs old and I still have her insured for £3,000 but with the highest excess, just in case.

12. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Neither of mine are insured. I've never had a dog insured, horses, yes, dogs & cats no.

Bates is 12 and if something were to come up, we wouldn't do anything major. As it is, he's perfectly healthy, some old man lumps and bumps, but mainly he's just arthritic and we're keeping him comfortable there. Gabapentin is his main medication and it's pretty cheap comparatively.
    Penny is the usual healthy as a horse side of the road special, she eats anything and everything without issue, doesn't seem that breakable if her crashes barreling around the woods are any indication, long may that continue!

We've had some big bills over the years but our vet is wonderful with payment plans if need be and we have some savings for emergencies which a big vet bill would fall under. But this is (dare I say it? :Hilarious) the US and we're used to coughing up big bucks for medical expenses even with insurance.

Sarah H, LittleMow and Lurcherlad like this.
  13. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Personally, I wouldn't cancel.

Flynn is approaching 14 and I'd never have anything major done but he is on regular meds and needs regular blood tests. A year ago he had some investigative work done - extra non standard bloods, ultrasound and other bits and bobs. Currently his premium (£60 per month) is worth what I claim back as I always claim back more, despite paying 20% of the bills.

I do have a bit put aside and can afford his meds without claiming but cancelling his insurance would be a desperate measure.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice