Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

DO I BUY ANOTHER GOLDFISH?

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Esta Gazunthist, Jul 24, 2018.

?

Do I get another goldfish

1. yes

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. no

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. Esta Gazunthist

Esta Gazunthist PetForums Newbie

A friend of mine gave me her two goldfish about three months ago , they were in awful condition - living in the tiniest tank ever. On the day I went to collect them, one of them had died - leaving just one behind. My friend told me the remaining goldfish would bully the other goldfish. They would often fight and the surviving goldfish would ram the one that has now died in to the tank wall.

Now, I have the goldfish in a big tank. He looks shiny and happy - spends his time swimming and eating (bare in mind when I got him he was floating on his back.) My question is, do I buy him a friend or would be happier alone. I'm worried he would bully the other fish but that could have been because he was in a small tank.

What do you guys think?

2. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Hi Esta,

It's great that you've rescued this goldfish, but we need some more details please. What type of goldfish is it? How big is the new tank? How long has he been in there, and did you cycle the tank?

3. Esta Gazunthist

Thank you Naomi! He is a little comet, living a tank with the dimensions
    31.5 x 45 x 27cm - holding 17L. I did indeed cycle the new tank, he has been living in it for one month and two weeks.

4. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Hi Esta,
    Unfortunately a tank of that size is still much too small for goldfish, so no, I wouldn't recommend getting him a friend. Single-tailed goldfish such as comets can grow to over 12" long and live for 20-30 years, though this one may well have been stunted by his bad start in life and in that case is likely to have a shortened life expectancy. How long did your friend have him for?
    Advice on suitable tank sizes will vary, but a conservative estimate is 100L minimum for a single comet, and at least another 50L for each additional fish. I'm tagging @magpie and @kittih as they can offer further advice - magpie has some photos that demonstrate just how fast and how big goldfish can grow in the right conditions!
    I can tell you care about this fish and it's great you've rescued him from what sounds like a horrendous start in life, but if you want the best for him, please consider upsizing to a larger tank, or, better still, a pond!

Lurcherlad and magpie like this.
  5. Acidic Angel

Acidic Angel Your ego does not surpass your pets wellbeing

Unfortunately, due to the size they reach and the amount of waste they produce, comet goldfish usually do best in outdoor ponds.

I would recommend getting a larger tank(ideally a minimum of 3ft to allow for growth) for the current fish, using the cycled media(just to confirm, by "cycled" you don't mean you left it running for a week empty do you?) to seed the new tank and give it a head start in cycling so the fish doesn't suffer. See how the fish does in a large tank, if he starts to grow significantly he likely will need a pond when adult. If he is stunted, he is likely to have a shortened lifespan as @NaomiM says. However, a 17ltr tank is too small for any fish except a single betta, and even then it borders on too small.

magpie likes this.
  6. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

It's hard to imagine when you have a tiny fish in front of you, but as @NaomiM & @Acidic Angel have said, single tailed goldfish like your comet grow VERY large indeed and are more suited to ponds. If kept in a tank, I personally wouldn't like to see an adult in anything less than 5 foot long, which means tanks in the region of 400-500 litres, and even the most conservative guidelines recommend a bare minimum of 150 litres per fish. It is very possible that overcrowding caused one fish to bully the other in the situation you have described.

I've posted this picture a few times now, but it is a good illustration of how quickly goldfish can grow. This is a fancy goldfish fry I raised at 2 months old and at 12 months old (so still not fully grown), and bare in mind comets can grow even bigger than fancies:

[​IMG]

7. Esta Gazunthist

Thank you all for your help! I have just put an order in for a 3ft stand fish tank from my pets store!

NaomiM likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice