Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

do dogs need salt?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by kathateria, Nov 22, 2012.

1. kathateria

kathateria PetForums Member

Do dogs need salt,in their diet?
    Just wondered:)

2. Redice

Redice PetForums Senior

I think they only need a very small amount and they get it naturally from a balanced diet so there isn't any need to add any more.
    Although If I have been out jogging mine seem awfully keen to lick my sweaty, salty face.:lol:

3. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Salt is made of two chemicals, Sodium and Chloride. Both are essential nutrients for dogs. If you ever look at the nutrient profiles for dogs both are listed. There a however also a recommended maximum level of chloride for dogs. There are other sources of both sodium and chloride. So if you are feeding a "balanced" diet, by adding additional salt you may be giving too much. Shouldn't matter if a dog has access to drinking water as it is filtered through the kidneys but why make extra work for the dogs organs?

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

In humans, salt is lost through sweat. Dog's don't sweat through their skin like we do, only a little bit through their paws so their need for salt is much less than ours.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice