Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do dogs grow more if they are neutered?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Ace, May 30, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace PetForums Junior

I have read on the internet if you neuter your dog he grows bigger due to testosterone usually telling the bones when to stop growing and by removing the testosterone the bones grow more?

just wanted to know whether this is a myth or not

thanks for any replies

2. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

No they get fat if their diet and exercise are'nt watched though!

3. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

My dog never got fat but he grew 6 inches taller than the maximum height for his breed. He was castrated at 6 months.

4. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

The vet warned me that if you don't watch their diet and exercise they get fat!! I am not saying your dogs gonna get fat :D

5. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

We had Amber spayed when she was 6 1/2 months old and grew to the hight of a male at least 4 inches more than the breed standard for a female.

6. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

lol I didn't think you were. The dog I was talking about was always a fussy eater. We didn't change a thing diet or exercise-wise, but he never got fat. :)

7. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

No, it's not a myth, but it all depends on what age you neuter. You will only have trouble if you neuter before the dog is mature - and this can be anything between 10 to 24 months depending upon the size of the dog. If you neuter too early, you prevent the the sex hormones such as testosterone and progesterone being produced. This results in the delayed closing of the growth plates of the long leg bones, which creates leggy, taller than average dogs and increases the risk of some orthopedic disorders such as cruciate ligament disease, hip problems and possibly bone cancer.

8. JjPhoenix

JjPhoenix PetForums Member

if you neuter too young, i think anything below 8 months is too young and even then id leave it to as close to 2 as possible depending on the dogs behaviour.
    below 8 months, growth plates dont close, meaning dogs will grow taller/leggier and often results in all sorts of problems, like elbow displacia, hip displacia, joint problems, arthritus, ligament problems, all sorts. Getting your dog done between the ages of 13-18 months, eg during the secondary fear period can also behaviourally mess up your dog.
    so 8-12 months, then 18 months onwards i would, in between those i would be looking very carefully at the reasons why and getting lots of opinions etc.

its one of those things that goes to show - dont just take what your vet says for gospel, do your research before following their reccommendations.

9. leashedForLife

hey, ace! :--)

short + simple?
    this is only true of juvenile-neuters, which are done before 12-WO, typically in shelters or rescues -
    according to multiple veterinary studies around the world.

M-dogs are unusual re other mammals - there are things similar to other species, like the androgen bath
    in-utero when masculinizing-androgens are secreted into the amniotic fluid -
    humans do that, too. but there are other things that are different - and in M-dogs, the pubertal flush of testosterone
    is followed by a rising spike of more testosterone, peaking at approx 9-MO, then falling to the adult-levels.

so far as we know,this is unique to dogs - and translates to various problem behaviors, in that time-frame - and possibly
    for the dogs lifetime, as learned behaviors are a part of that developmental period - if the dog learns to leg-lift
    inside the home-foyer when he sees other dogs pass by, UN-learning that response to visual-stim may be difficult,
    even if the dog is neutered thereafter.

that spike (from 6-MO to 9-MO) is why most vets advise pet-owners to neuter a M-pup between 6-MO + 8-MO,
    to avoid the rising intensification of testes-driven behaviors like M:M reactivity, posturing, humping, leg-lifting
    inappropriately, mounting, etc. basically if do not intend to breed, allowing the dog to learn + rehearse undesirable behaviors,
    which may or may not cease post-desex, is counter-productive.

there are differences between JUVENILE desex (before 12-WO), PUBERTAL desex (6 to 7-MO), and Post-Pubertal desex -
    approx 8-MO to 12-MO. juvenile-desex is the one that causes *some* extra height in the long-bones of the legs -
    but IME over more than 25-years, with many shelter-adoptees who were juvie-desexed, the difference is not even
    visible to the eye, in most cases; siblings who remained intact + their juvie-desex brother differed by an inch or so,
    which is hardly glaringly obvious.
    pubertal desex causes no change in height, as the long-bones have stopped growing,
    by 6-MO.

When do dogs actually stop growing? - Pet Forums Community

skeletal growth chart - see this link -
    Pet Forums Community - View Single Post - When to Castrate?

more info -
    Pet Forums Community - View Single Post - all dogs should be neutered

happy reading,
    --- terry

10. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I know you've posted that info before Terry, but I do wonder about my boy. His bones were VERY long for a Bullmastiff, he wasn't just a giant. And he developed all sorts of joint and ligament problems too. :(

11. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Good job Ted isnt neutered then, hes well above average height now:eek:

12. Ace

Ace PetForums Junior

My dog was neutered between 6 - 7 months so does this mean his bones will grow larger than the recommended height for his breed (staffy) ?

13. A dog needs to reach full maturity prior to castration imo.

14. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

It means that his leg bones will probably grow longer than they are meant to do for his breed, and so he will probably be taller than the average staffy. It also means he may have an increased risk of orthopedic disorders such as cruciate ligament disorders and hip and elbow displasia.

15. kazschow

kazschow PetForums VIP

If you neuter before your dogs growth plates close you risk your dog being taller and leggier than he would otherwise be. The growth plates on various breeds close at different times, in my breed chows it is recomended to wait til 18 - 24 months.

16. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Its not a sureity by any means. I do know of dogs castrated young that didn't grow taller. But my Bullmastiff did. His legs were long and thin, not at all how they would normally be when fully grown. Personally I wouldn't take the chance again, especially with a giant breed.

17. leashedForLife

no, ace -
    please see the ** Links * in my previous post for the skeletal growth chart + other info; the length of the long-bones of the leg
    is halted in intact-M pups by the initial surge of pre-pubertal testosterone, around 5-MO; as Ur dog was a month or more
    past that age, there should be absolutely no difference in the height Ur dogs spine will be, from the floor, as an adult --
    He Had Already Gotten Legs as Long As They Would Be; They Had Stopped.

he is a PUBERTAL desex - as i have already said many times, the veterinary studies all state that only Juvie-Neuters,
    meaning *before 12-WO* , show any significant lengthening of the long-bones, and even in those dogs,
    it is not a big difference.
    cheers,
    --- terry

18. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Terry - I can't get the links out here but do they say that there were absolutely NO post 12 w pups who were castrated and showed long bone growth?

I had no idea this could happen when I had my dog castrated. I went on a forum asking why my dog was growing so tall and not developing muscle tone (I had only had entire BM's then) and was asked when he was castrated. It all fitted.

19. leashedForLife

hey, hp! :--)

there is over 4-inches difference at the withers in the breed-standard for M vs F dogs? thats extremely unusual -which breed?

no matter when this particular dog was **spayed**, U cannot blame the decrease of testosterone for her extra height;
    this growth mechanism is not present in F-dogs, only in Ms.

all my best,
    --- terry

20. kazschow

kazschow PetForums VIP

My male chow was bought at 6 months old Leashedforlife... he had been run on by a breeder, but was sold as he wasn't square enough, his legs were quite short.. by 18 months he was completely square, and had put on a full 3 inches in leg length... So his spine was NOT the final height off the ground as you state at 6 months. It took to just over 2 yrs old for him to reach full skeletal maturity, this was closely noted and monitored by my vet, as he had entropian, and it was not recomenced being operated on til he reached full mature growth...

At age 3 and a half now, he has still to fully mature in his musculature.... I don't expect him to reach full development til he is 4ish.

God knows how long his legs would be if he had be neutered at 6 months!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice