Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do Cats Know When You No Longer Have a Dog?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by DGAMM, Oct 14, 2020.

1. DGAMM

DGAMM PetForums Newbie

We have a cat on our street who is essentially a stray. His old owners got a dog which he didn’t take to and so he left his home at the top end of our street years ago. He remains on the street and is taken in during the winter nights by our neighbour across the road who also has a cat of their own. The two cats don’t get along so he can only be in the house during the night while their cat is out. Anyway...
    We lost our dog a month ago and ever since, the cat has been appearing at our door every day. If he hears our door opening he will appear and try get in the house and will then sit at the door meowing for quite some time. If we are outside he tries to follow us back in the house. He is well fed by a number of families on the street so it’s not food he’s looking for. We’ve never had this when we had our dog so I’m wondering if cats sense or smell when a dog is no longer there? We don’t have an issue with him being in our garden as he’s a friendly little thing but we can’t have him in the house as we have budgies. Will he eventually give up if he realises he won’t be allowed in or can we expect this for the foreseeable? We feel terrible that he sits outside for so long in the hope he’ll be let in, especially as the weather starts getting colder.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@DGAMM - what a pity that no-one in your street has taken this poor cat in and given him a proper home all these years!

Or if not, then called a local Rescue to come and take him in and re-home him.

Why has the owner themselves not done anything about rehoming the cat? Or why has no-one asked the owner to sign the cat over to a Rescue? So many possible ways for someone to find this cat a decent home where he can be properly cared for.

You have described how desperate he is to move in with you, and who can blame him now the weather has turned wet and cold (in the UK). Perhaps he knows your dog has gone,and he feels more brave. Perhaps it is sheer desperation.

It is all very well for people to feed him, but a domestic cat needs more than that. He needs regular veterinary treatment for fleas and worms and an annual dental check. If he is an older cat he needs regular health checks, particularly as he has been living rough.

Please try and do something to help this poor fellow. The fact you posted here on a catlovers forum shows that you are a kind person who cares.

I know most Rescues are closed at present, due to COVID, but many are still out there rescuing cats. If you can say which part of the UK you are in, we may be able to point you towards Rescues that may help this sad neglected boy.

ewelsh, buffie, O2.0 and 1 other person like this.
  3. DGAMM

DGAMM PetForums Newbie

Oh bless him we thought he may just have noticed something was different and so had started coming around our house but I’d hate to think he was suffering in any way.

From what we’ve heard from neighbours, he seems to go back to his old owners now and again but won’t go in their house due to their dog. I’m not sure whether they treat him for fleas/worms but I suppose that’s unlikely if he won’t even go in their house.

I remember stopping to pet him when I was still at school so he’ll be at least 13/14 now! (Not sure if he was still living at home at this point)

I’ll get in touch with our neighbour across the road as she seems to know the most about him/who owned him as I think she has spoken to them before about the fact he spends every night in her house.

I’m not sure what he usually gets up to during the day, I’ve seen him inside our neighbours house when the weather is bad but I’d assume he’s out and about from the morning until early evening majority of the time and of course as of late he’s been spending quite a lot of time in our garden and porch.

I think the only animal rescue we have near us would be SSPCA, I’ll also get in touch with them to see what they think we should do as I’m not sure what happens when the owner is known?

He’s a lovely boy so hopefully we can get him sorted out!

chillminx likes this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@DGAMM - thank you so much for trying to help him. :) x It sounds as though you have some kind neighbours too and I am sure between you something can be done to find him a permanent home. A Rescue would get him checked by the vet before rehoming him.

If he is a senior cat (13 or 14 y/old) then he definitely needs more care than he is getting. He is at the age where one of the chronic illnesses of feline old age can start to develop and if so he will need treatment, possibly a special diet, and maybe regular vet checks, in order to manage the illness and give him the best quality of life. If he has any underlying age related illness it is best diagnosed a.s.a.p.

Here is a list of Cat Rescues in Scotland who may be able to help you.

https://www.catchat.org/index.php/cat-rescue-centres-strathclyde-scotland

https://www.catchat.org/index.php/cat-rescue-centres-central-scotland

and also :

https://www.rescuescottishpets.co.uk/Pets/rescue-cats-scotland

https://sunnyharbour.org.uk/

https://whinnybank.org.uk/

If you ask the SSPCA for help please, please do not let them take him unless they can assure you they have a no-kill policy ( I'm sorry I don't know what their policy is but some of our other Scottish members may know.) Make it clear the cat will continue to be fed every day where he is, living as a stray. Also tell them he is not being a nuisance, it is only that you are concerned about his welfare and cannot adopt him as you keep budgies.

If it were me I would approach the Cats Protection Rescues first and then some of the independent rescues that state they have a no-kill policy.

Please can you update us with any news. Thank you x

#4 chillminx, Oct 14, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  5. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

6. DGAMM

DGAMM PetForums Newbie

Nice little update!

I managed to catch my neighbour while out a walk yesterday and mentioned the cat had been at our house quite a lot recently, turns out there is a reason! My neighbour recently lost her cat and has taken him in full time now, she said he probably just saw us at our door etc. and crossed over the road for some attention as he sits in her porch during the day so looks directly onto us.
    I’ve looked out my window today and he’s sitting on her windowsill looking out onto the street so glad he will have a happy cosy home with her

ewelsh, SbanR and chillminx like this.
  7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@DGAMM - thank you for the update.

I am so pleased to hear he has found a good home with one of your neighbours. Excellent news! :)

ewelsh likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice