Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do cats have a 6th sense?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by sharon_gurney, Apr 3, 2011.

1. sharon_gurney

sharon_gurney PetForums VIP

I know this is going to be a bit of an odd thing to post but here goes...

Every night Vogue comes to bed with me and sleeps at my side, last night was no exception. until about half hour after going to bed me and the husband wre just dropping off to sleep when all of a sudden Vogue jumped up and started staring at the bedroom door and really growling.

Vogue never growls at any thing!!!! She sat at the foot of the bed staring at nothing but really going for it in the growling department.

Must admit is spooked me a little. The husband got up to check if anything was amiss but nothing, she wouldnt settle until the husband picked up up and took her out on the landing to look. It took her a while to settle down but then she went back to her purring normal self.

I know there are some out there that may scoff at this but does anything she seen something.

As far as the paranormal goes I am a sceptic but we have had the odd unexplained mystery in the past

What do you lot think?......It was very strange

2. chesca13

chesca13 PetForums Member

Both my cats do that, Rhubarb will lie at the top of the bad with me in the morning and sometimes she will "look" at somthing at the other side of the room and out into the hall and it is a proper look like she would give if she was watching one of us then she'll jump up and go out into the hall....scares the s**t out of me. Then yesterday my kitten was on top of the cat tree "looking" at something across the room. Im not sure if i believe in that sort of stuff or not but them two dont help matters when they do things like that...at least its not just me it happens to :eek:

3. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

both mine have done it to, they suddenly sit up and stare, and i for the life of me, cannot see any thing there, other half is allways saying its the presence of the old lady that died here, it spooks me out, i really dont know what it is that gets there attention,:confused:,:confused:

4. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

Scamp sits at the bottom of the stairs and just stares up them, he will not go up unless I go with him or the light is put on (I know he doesn't need the light but it seems to settle him) he doesn't do this all the time, but when he does we joke that it's "Hilda", she owned the house before us and loved cats, although I have often wondered if it could be the cats spirit or whatever that he sees or senses. Maybe he's just nuts:rolleyes:: :D

5. merothe

merothe PetForums Senior

It is a fun question to think about :) To add food for thought - I read a really interesting book called the cat whisperer and it spends quite a bit of time going over how cats senses (just the 5 though :D) are different from ours. They hear in different ranges and how they smell and hear is different (like they can sometime smell through their mouths :blink: or something like that)

so it may also be possible that your cat did sense something not paranormal but something real that humans cant detect. :confused:

I think mine sometimes hear mice under the floorboards and in the walls and that explains why they suddenly react to nothing...well it might be ghosts! :rolleyes:

Just a thought :p

6. petzplazaUK

petzplazaUK PetForums Senior

i think they have a sixth sense but then i also beleive in some paranormal as ive had things happen throughout my whole life that have given me reason to beleive lol
    my cat also instinctively knows if ur not feeling well or upset too- so yep id say they do

7. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

Cats do smell through their mouth.. I can't help but laugh at the face mine pull when they do. It's called the Flehmen response, look it up :D

I came across it when I wondered what the hell my cats were doing everytime they pulled a face when they smelt something strong.. Almost like a big mouth open grin. So smelly feet, cat bottoms etc - Anything strong and new smelling.. And the face gets pulled :p

As for the sixth sense, mine do the bottom of the stairs thing aswell - They do it all the time when I feed them and it's just me in the house, run to the bottom of the stairs and just sit there and stare up.. Same with doorways..
    :rolleyes::

8. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

Thanks Dante for the information about the Flehman response, I have just done a quick search about it as to be honest I am not sure if I have ever seen this with my cats, interesting though, you learn something new every day :)

9. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

I think it's because they have such acute hearing they hear things and react, my cat does it sometime over my shoulder in the evening and it's usually because the foxes are running about in the front garden.

Someone here has the T.S. Eliot quote about cats looking behind you and one day there may be something there, which is so true.

10. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

Ah yes, I remember seeing that quote in someones signature and thinking how true it was :)

11. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

No problem, I'd never seen any other of my previous cats do it - That's why I ended up having a search around when I noticed my two doing it now. I thought they were angry initially, me and the OH even called it their 'angry face' until we found out what it was they were actually doing!

Pandora does however do it a LOT more than Schrodinger, at least that I see.. So I guess not all cats do it, or some more than others :)

12. sharon_gurney

sharon_gurney PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice