Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do cats get pins & needles?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Hdris88, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Hdris88

Hdris88 PetForums Newbie

Hi! I didn’t really know how else to title this.
    It sounds like a ridiculous question but... I’ll put it into context.
    One of my cats just lost the use of this back legs for no longer than a minute, then returned back to normal.
    Nothing like this has happened before and it was only brief. It reminded my of a humans get “dead legs”.
    This episode happened about 30 minutes ago and he has eaten and no change in himself. Just a tad concerned.

Vet “Google” tells me to fear the worst with strokes and other things!

Ziggy is
    8 years old
    Tomcat
    Had since 8 weeks old
    Spayed
    Indoor cat
    No previous medical issues

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I would advise a vet visit for the morning to have this checked out , (personally I would have been on the phone as soon as it happened)
    It may or may not be serious but not worth taking chances.

chillminx likes this.
  3. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Sudden hind limb paralysis smacks of cardiac issues, and given he is spot on the right age for this, I'd be getting him to my vet asap for a full health check.

buffie and chillminx like this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Hdris88 - I agree with the others, I would have your cat seen as possible by the vet. It could well be cardiac issues.

A few months ago I had one of my cats die suddenly from Saddle Thrombosis (blood clots in his back legs). He had only just reached his 10th birthday. There was no warning at all that anything was wrong before it happened and he had seemed fit and well to me. If there had been any signs beforehand (e.g. temporary paralysis in his hind legs) the vet might have been able to save his life with blood thinning medication.

Please do not delay getting your cat to the vet. It is urgent.

EDIT: intermittent hind leg paralysis is also a symptom of untreated Diabetes. At 8 yrs of age your cat could have developed Diabetes Mellitus. Please ask the vet test for this.

#4 chillminx, Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    buffie likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice