Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do cats forget?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by harleigh, Jul 5, 2009.

1. harleigh

harleigh PetForums Member

I just wonder because I got Mr Bump and Asterixx when they were five weeks old. I looked after them for a year together then Mr Bump went to live with my Mum. I've just brought him over to my house again after about 9 months away from it to care for his sore neck as Mum cannot hold him to bathe him and he his violently fighting with the others that he used to live with. It's upsetting to see and my others are getting scared. Does he not remember them? Not even his brother?:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

2. rachael

rachael PetForums Senior

I'm sure he remembers, he's probably just frightened!

Moving around can make cats very nervous! Give him a week or so!

3. harleigh

I hope so, I remember him as a baby got them the week before christmas and they slept in bed with me! They helped me through losing my lovely nana. And they both make such a great noise when the call to the other cats

4. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Even though its his brother remember that he left him as a 8 week old kitten, in human terms that about 2 years old........if you then met your brothers/sisters a year later (human terms I think is 18??)
    Would you remember them???

There will be lots of different smells and cats dont like change, keep him in one room until the first week or 2 until he calms down and no meeting his brother, hell know his there but its too much for him right now, he will be able to smell him, but do supervised intros for 15mins a time & give both there fav treat so they think of eachother with nice things!

OH just re-read that they split up at a year old, it could be the smell the distress of everything.

Cats dont forget though, my cat KNEW that he had injections every month same date...he would go missing and not come back until it was dark - he knew that we wouldnt take him then itll be too late. ;) :D

Not stupid lol! :D

5. harleigh

I'm an only child! Lol. Sorry just had to say it.
    It's just odd how the only one he doesn't fight with is baby Xander who is around 12 weeks old.
    I know it's very strange to them, I guess it just seems odd to me and I want them to be a happy little gang again so much. I just wondered if it was proven whether they had a short memory etc.

6. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

i dnt think cats do remember much. sheldon lived with his brother till 5 months old till i got him in december last year. then about a month ago his old owner brought his brother up and same thing happened.

cats adjust easily so prob jst dnt think its important to remember so they dnt.

altho as a kitten sheldon was tortured by the breeders children and its now very hard to get him to play with my 6 year old niece coz of this.

so obviously some things do stick with them

7. harleigh

They know certain things for definite. When I got Calico he was riddled with fleas, poor thing. Now when it's time to pin them all down for a frontline he's the only one who seems to know it's important and lines up for his first.

8. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

Awww! That is sooo cute!! I have an image of cats queuing up like in a canteen line or something! Lol (although i'm sure it's not quite like that).

9. harleigh

if only they were that well trained. roughly half kinda do when its treat time (this being half of 13 lol) thats the older ones though, the kids are lunatics!

10. badbudgie

badbudgie PetForums Member

My housecat Lola went missing for 5 days. When she came back her son Mani was petrified of her, hissing and running away, and that was only 5 days!

I think it's the unfamiliar smells he didn't recognise but it was relly weird to watch, "It's your mam" I was trying to tell him...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice