Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do cats feel a loss ?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by coulbyblue, Jun 25, 2009.

1. coulbyblue

coulbyblue PetForums Newbie

One of my cats had to be put to sleep 3 months ago with renal failure. Just after she had been diagnosed my other cat (same age -15, & sister of) started eating less & has almost totally gone off wet food & mostly eats dry . She has lost about a third of her weight- she was quite tubby, so not too bad from that point of view. However she has now taken to sitting in the middle of the room now & again & making quite strange crying sounds. Do cats feel the loss of another cat & could this behaviour be part of that or something more serious.? I have had her 10 years & the only vet visits have been for annual boosters so I think she is still in good health.

2. Emma32

Emma32 PetForums Member

Animals do feel losses yes. When I was little I had a rabbit and guinea pig together [I know it's not advisable], and when my guinea pig died, my rabbit went off her food and sat quietly in the corner.

I'm sure what you'd like to do is cuddle her, but if you do that too much, she may become more distressed, as animals are incredibly good at picking up on grief from humans. I'd try and offer her some playtime oppourtunities, as activity is what she'll be needing. Does she search around for her companion too? Maybe you could put catnip in an old sock, tie up the end and give it to her. In time, the attention and activity will help your cat to deal with it.

3. CanIgoHome

CanIgoHome PetForums VIP

I think all animals feel lost as Emma32 said Rabbits I had in the past have and all animals that live in packs do too I know my cats feel lost the day I take Mog to the vet I put him in the basket and Katie ran to the basket to see him and when I came back with no Mog or basket she keep looking for him :(

4. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

aww poor girl, crying out for her friend :( it might be too soon to introduce a new friend? I dont know maybe she would enjoy the company if it has always been 2 of them? poor girl x Hope she feels btter soon & sorry for your loss x

5. Emma32

Emma32 PetForums Member

Yes I think it is too soon to introduce another cat. She could become hostile towards a newcomer, as it may be too much for her to deal with at present.

6. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Thats what I thought, so horrible, Id hate for any of my cats to feel like that :(

7. Emma32

Emma32 PetForums Member

Yeah I feel the same here.

8. bimbleweb

bimbleweb PetForums Member

:( Cats can feel loss, yes.

When we lost our moggie boy, Othello, our moggie girl Mona pined for him. She was off her food and crying, sleeping in 'his' spot. We only waited about a month before finding her a new friend. In a couple of days they were sleeping together in a huddle and she perked up :)

I hope that your poor kitty will feel better soon xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice