Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do cats EAT mice that they catch?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ohioweaver, Jun 29, 2009.

1. ohioweaver

ohioweaver PetForums Newbie

My Willie brought home a field mouse that he caught and I had my back door proped open and he went in and NOW I can't find any mouse anywhere. Do you suppose he ate it? Willie is and indoor/outdoor cat. One last question: he is a well fed cat so Mouse is NOT a diet supplement I don't think. Before he caught a house mouse of two and he did kill them, but he didn't eat them.
    What do you think?

2. bimbleweb

bimbleweb PetForums Member

I think it was ment as a gift to you :) My moggy always brings me a mouse/frog or similar when we get a new pet or change something in the house. They will hunt and kill, it's instict, but normally they leave it as an offering to their human. I would check behind any house plants or furniture and if you can't find it assume it has been eaten :p

3. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Mine usually eat all but the intestines which they leave as a pressie! Yuck!:eek:

4. bimbleweb

bimbleweb PetForums Member

Ewwwwwwwwwww! :yikes:

5. Rachh

Rachh PetForums Senior

My cat eats everything he brings home which is usually a bird or a rat >.<
    However he has bought a rabbit home before which is weird because he's petrified of my netherland dwarf >.<

6. littlekitty

littlekitty PetForums Senior

My two are forever bringing home pressies dead and alive, most of the time they eat what they catch.
    I actually found a mouse in my bedroom which must of been under the bed for a few days, and I noticed Mary acting strangely near the bed, so we lifted it up and the mouse ran into a corner, we had to move everything out just to catch it. needless to say they are now both banned from the upstairs and they sleep in the kitchen with the dog., but they have access to the flap 24/7.

7. JoWDC

JoWDC PetForums VIP

I agree that it's probably hiding somewhere will come out when you least expect it. We had one hiding under the sink/ cooker area for sometime but think it's been re-caught now.

8. an4rew

an4rew PetForums Newbie

a nutritionally well fed cat, will only catch mice, birds to play with them and practice their hunting skills.

9. archiecat

archiecat PetForums Junior

I believe, when they eat a mouse, the liver is very sour, and thats why you'll normally find half a mouse, because they got to the liver and decided it wasn't very tasty...

We came home from a night out a couple of weeks ago, to find a lot of blood splatter at the bottom of the stairs. Looked like murder had happened, but we never found the body...

10. Lulu's owner

Lulu's owner PetForums VIP

My cats, perfectly well fed at home, used to eat everything but one tiny part. I always thought it was the gall bladder, but maybe it was the liver.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice