Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do cat barriers on fencing work please?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jenf, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Jenf

Jenf PetForums Newbie

Hi All
    I am new to this forum and was hoping for some advice on whether to invest in cat barriers for my garden.
    My beloved cat, Badger, was killed on a road last week which deeply upset myself and our children. Now we desperately don't want to lose his brother, Benson, the same way. He is only 1 and enjoys the outdoors but is no roamer or hunter....he is much more homely and in fact such a baby that he still suckles my hair!!
    I do struggle with the idea of keeping him in forever as believe his quality of life would be decreased. My kids are also young and I don't want to be screaming at them to close the door every time they go into the garden. Finally there is a local unneutered Tom that bullies him so a barrier might also help with him.
    So I looked into installing cat barriers around my garden and am awaiting a quote from Protectapets who sound really good.
    My question is, would this work or would Ben always find ways out?
    I would love to hear any of your experiences either way.
    Thanks so much
    Jen

2. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

3. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Hi Jen, so sorry for your loss, I am in exactly the same position as you having lost my Treacle just after his 1st birthday :(

I'm looking at ways to protect my others too. I've not heard of Protectapets, can you post a link to them please? :)

4. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your dear cat, it is a horrible thing to have to deal with.
    I am not familiar with the system you mention, but have had a simple DIY system of angled brackets and netting in my garden for over a year and no-one has escaped yet. I think it provides a happy compromise between complete freedom and house enclosure.

5. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

I think any garden could be cat proofed, Its a question of planning it right and having the money to build it, or pay more for someone to do it for you. This is the only solution I could come up with.

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      175.4 KB
      Views:
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice