Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do Big Puppy Paws = Big Dog ?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Bexy, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Bexy

Bexy PetForums Senior

I was just wandering whether it was true that if your puppy has big paws it'll grow up to be a big dog :confused:

I tend to think most puppies paws look big but everywhere me and Trigger go we are always getting people saying he will grow up to be a big boy cos of his big paws.

I always thought it was a bit of an old wives tale but am now wandering whether there is some truth in it.

ps please don't laugh if this is a stupid question:D

2. sunshine80

sunshine80 PetForums VIP

Not sure if it true of certain breeds or not. I have a male cocker spaniel who has big paws (not helped by his hair) - he has bigger paws than dogs twice his size so it is not true in his case he is a year old but quite small for a cocker.

3. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

i dont think so tbh
    People always comment on the size of Shortys but she is a large breed.

Be good if it was true all round - you know what they say about a guy with big feet dont you? :lol:

4. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

lol from the pic... trigger is a boxer ergo he's gonna be a fairly big dog! ;)

5. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Ollie had huge paws as a pup, and he's about medium-large for a cocker, but not huge for his breed.

6. corrine3

corrine3 PetForums VIP

Both Glen and Fletcher were big pawed puppies and have turned out to be on the larger side for their breed, so dunno :confused:

7. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I don't know to be honest :confused1:

Luna had big paws as a pup and yes she is a big dog but then again she is a big breed..

10 weeks
    [​IMG]

8. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Nah I don't go for that. My boy had ginormous paws and we always got the comments 'oh he's going to be a huge dog!'.

In reality he is currently 30kg which for a golden retriever is on the smaller side but then some are a bit chunky and he isn't overly so. Height wise he's the higher end of breed standard and he's not a bean pole by any means but I wouldn't say he is as big as I was lead to believe or anything...He's nearly 2 btw...

9. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

zeb had massive paws as a pup he still has pretty big ones now. hes around 30kg but as a medium breed crossed with a large breed he couldve gone either way

bear has really danity paws and hes not much smaller then zeb, hes not as stocky and his chest isnt as big. but weight/height wise theres very little between them

10. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

My sister got a puppy (looked like a lab puppy) from a rescue centre, he had the most enormous paws Ive ever seem on a tiny pup so believing that he would grow huge they called him Digby after tthe film Digby the biggest dog in the world.... fully grown he was like a small corgi shaped dog, never really grew into his paws or his name :D.

11. Bexy

Bexy PetForums Senior

Thanks for all your replies, thought it seemed a bit straightforward for calculating his size:D better warn those bitches hitting on him not to be mislead by his huge paws;)

Guess only time will tell if he does end up big or not.

I guess some bits grow more than others to begin with - his ears have definitely taken a growth, just waiting on his face growing into them:D

ps billyboysmammy, how did you know he is one of Ergo's :eek: :confused:

12. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

I have always had german shepherds and have always been told that 'the wrist' is the clue to the size of the adult your pupster will become! If the wrist is big then the dog will be big, and when the wrist looks like it is smooth on the leg and not nobbly any more then the dog has finished growing! (hope that makes sense) It has always been true with any dogs i have owned! :thumbup: :thumbup:

13. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I'm not sure but one of the reasons I went for Heidi was her size. The other litter were much bigger at that same age - stockier too and I wanted dainty.
    She had tiny paws too so I thought I was on to a winner.

A few weeks later these huge paws appeared. Thankfully she is still dainty and grew into them. Not as big as I would have thought but bigger than I first anticipated.

Either way, she is my little star. I have no idea if it's just an old wives tale or not but it certainly kept me on my toes :lol:

14. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I think she meant ergo as in 'therefore' :p

15. Bexy

Bexy PetForums Senior

Oh right:eek: just so happens that is also Trigger's dad name:D

16. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Spooky :scared:

17. pickle

pickle PetForums Senior

When I took Treacle to [email protected] vets for her 1st jab and chip the vet told me very confidently "she is going to be a very big girl, look at those paws!". She is now a fully grown 3.5 years old and right at the bottom height of the breed standard for GSP bitches and considered small! The vet told me he was very knowledgable about GSPs as he had them at home in South Africa, he was very cocky about it.

18. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I just think some parts grow quicker and before others.... LOL

My Weimy pups all had whopping Ears and feet.. lol meal times was a right mess, They look in proportion now..

I dont think you will be able to prove or disprove this..lol

19. slakey

slakey PetForums VIP

A bit late to the party, but it's the puppies knuckle you need to look at to determine how big they'll get.

20. pika

pika PetForums VIP

I don't think so, Skye has big paws but she won't be very big

Dascha had huge paws as a pup but she's only a miniature sized dog. We all thought she'd grow lab size since she def has lab in her.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice