Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

DNA profiling

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Ty-bo, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Ty-bo

Ty-bo PetForums Senior

Am looking into this for both Ty and new girl.

Has anyone else done it and is it worth the money (£25 per dog) obviously theyre both microchipped too.

2. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

Mine are dna profiled, although it was only £15 when I did it. i think it's worth doing.

3. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I think the old boy Jasper is done. We rehomed him but he came back to us 2 years ago. She had him microchiped and DNA tested or thats what she told us I would have to get his paper work out to check.

A few years ago we were having a problem with a woman who used one of my dogs as a stud. She said the bitch hadn't had pups but was then advertising a litter of 12 pups that would have been the same age as my dogs pups. We were advised to have the dog DNA tested and insist that she had the bitch and all pups tested but she was a long distance away so we wouldn't have known that it was the right dogs she had had tested so it seemed pointless.

4. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

If your looking to breed then DNA profiling is a good idea, there are a few tests that are relatively cheap that can give you an idea if they are good dogs to breed with. There are others to consider - hip scores end eyes are the usual ones which is where the money starts to add up though if you want no trouble from future owners, having healthy pups is definitely the way to go (you could be asked to take any with genetic defects back) :)

5. crazycrest

crazycrest PetForums VIP

All of mine are DNA profiled, it is really only of any use if you are going to breed or you lose your dog, it is a great proof of ownership x

6. Ty-bo

Ty-bo PetForums Senior

Thats all I want it for really-an extra security measure in case they ever do get lost or stolen.
    Def not for breeding :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice