Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

DIY lid advice

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by PoisonGirl, Jul 5, 2009.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I'm collecting a 4 foot tank tomorrow. It has no lid, but the tank is free so I don't mind! Next door has plenty of bits of wood and things I can use, it is going to be my project.

Is there any materials I should avoid for the lid or should it not matter?

I plan on getting a perspex cover for the tank which will sit on bumpers which i will use tank silicon to glue on. The lid will have a separate bit that lifts up at the front, as well as the whole lid lifting up, as I plan to attach the light starter in the top, it will all be sealed in so no condensation will get in.

I'm off to start drawing up some plans.

I might make a stand for it but how would I do that? The tank is half a foot longer than my chest of drawers but if I put a strong bit of wood on top will that be enough to support it or will I need to get something bigger?

x

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Will the tank be ok sitting on a until that is half a foot shorter while it is empty? I don't want to leave it on the floor the dogs will break it.

3. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

While the tank is still empty it might be okay... don't quote me on that though! :D

I wouldn't even consider it with a full tank though, even with a strong piece of wood for it to sit on. The slightest bit of uneven pressure will put a tremendous amount of stress on the glass - I wouldn't risk it! :)

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Didn't get the tank :( We had just left and she text me saying she just noticed a crack in the bottom :crying:
    So I am still on the lookout for a bigger tank!

x

5. kelly82

kelly82 PetForums Junior

:( sorry to hear, you must be gutted. just so you know, 4 foot hoods are available in most pet shops. i made my own hood for my tank from wood, i had to as they dont come ready made for a bigger tank. its very heavy but it worked out well in the end, but it takes both me and my husband to lift it off the tank if we ever need to, for water changes etc the front 2 sections both come off completely which i can do alone, and the rear section with all the lighting fixed onto it lifts up and we chain it back to a bracket on the wall. :smilewinkgrin: everyone congratulates hubby on what a good job he did building it, and look at me like im mental when i say i did it all while he was at work lol :D

as for the stand, dont underestimate the weight of water, my tank is on 3x3 wood with a 6 x 2 sheet of 1" thick wood on the top to make sure the tank is stable and is supported fully through the whole tank. even empty i wouldnt let a tank sit on anything but a flat level surface which it can sit on fully-it doesnt take much to have a seam leak. even when i had my 3 foot and 4 foot tanks i wouldnt let them sit on anything even empty, it was the floor or a proper stand.

6. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Bought a 4ft tank for £20. Getting payed for dog sitting this week so ordering a metal stand, and a hood the week after :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice