UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new in this forum and I hope you can help me out! :)

I have a beautiful Border Collie named Maggie that is now 1,5 yo. She started obedience training and answers the commands of sit, down, stay and watch me though she can get distracted easily, but due to financial reasons we couldn't finish her training.

She's super friendly although a bit timid with strangers and really energetic. Our backyard has a lot of space for her to run around, and I try to take her out to walk and jog as much as I can, but I know it's not enough to burn her energy and I can see how it affects her - at times leaving her frustrated and anxious, and instigating a bit of destructive behaviour.

Ok, so after that huge backstory my question is:

Can you guys give me any tips of activities that I can do with her inside our house? She's already obsessed with playing catch, and I'm trying to teach her to jump obstacles with small heights, but I can't think of anything else to challenge her that doesn't need a professional supervision.

Thanks in advance for the attention :blushing:

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I think I`d be working on control and calm exercises that will help her learn self-control. I don`t think it`s advisable to even possible to tire a young dog out.
Scent games help them use their brain and aren`t too manic. Sendaway is good too. Both require a measure of control. :) Oh, and retrieve.

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
With Border Collies the possibilities are endless, they're such clever dogs! I would look into clicker training and take your pick of the many tricks and behaviours out there, kikopup on youtube (just search for the name) has hundreds of videos with different things to teach. :)

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I have an incredibly bright collie cross who always had very busy mind. She loves those Nina Ottosson puzzles and has nearly the entire collection, problem is they are expensive and she's got them well sussed now. Even a brand new one within 2-5 mins of opening she has figured out how to empty and then they are usually emptied the same each time!

Now I go for ones where the treats fall out more randomly and put different sizes in so some come out bit easier to keep her interested and some are big enough to wedge in more tightly.

If she likes balls... I made Inca a ball pool tent by just getting some Asda playballs and putting them in her dog bag tent. She loves hunting for treats under all the balls then has as much fun picking all the balls up and putting them all back in again. It can be put outside in garden if it's nice or played indoors on rainy days.

Teach her to put her toys away in a little hamper, toy box or basket?

Inca also likes emptying the washing machine and putting envelopes and paper in the paper recycling box and plastic bottles..lol! You'd never believe housework could be so much fun! :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks everybody for all the wonderful tips ! i'll take advantage of the fact we have a 4-day weekend in my country this week and try some of the things you suggested!! and i'm sure maggie will want to thank you too for all the extra attention and play time :)

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
My advice would be: Do not play any kind of game in the house at all. Only play games outside so the dog can switch off int he house. Make the house as boring as possible.

With regards to exercising it already sounds like you are doing enouigh as it is. The more you exercise a dog the fitter it gets to the point where you are having to do a marthon a day just wear them out and then the next tep is two marathons and so on. If she is wanting to destroy things then maybe play a bit of fetch with a tug toy and when she brings the tug back have a bit of tug-o-war with her to get rid of the energy that is focussed in her jaw so she doesn't have the inclination to go on a destructive spree.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My advice would be: Do not play any kind of game in the house at all. Only play games outside so the dog can switch off int he house. Make the house as boring as possible.

With regards to exercising it already sounds like you are doing enouigh as it is. The more you exercise a dog the fitter it gets to the point where you are having to do a marthon a day just wear them out and then the next tep is two marathons and so on. If she is wanting to destroy things then maybe play a bit of fetch with a tug toy and when she brings the tug back have a bit of tug-o-war with her to get rid of the energy that is focussed in her jaw so she doesn't have the inclination to go on a destructive spree.
Oh I guessed I didn't espress myself correctly, I said playing inside the house, but I meant the property. She would certainly destroy the house if we played inside - she's a little clumsy, and I'm not much better myself. LOL :laugh:

And thanks for the info! I didn't know she would want more exercise the more I took her out, though it makes sense. I guess it's truly a different experience from all the other dogs I've had , my yorkies and cocker, that only demand walking and tire easily.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I don't think you need to make the house boring and do nothing. The dog will still get bored and make up her own entertainment.

My dog does loads around the house as she's my helper. I'm mostly housebound so her life would be very boring if we did nothing in the house either!

I know many assistance dog owners who are busy around the house daily with their dogs helping them all day and have no problems settling down when they have finished the jobs the owner needed help with. Mental stimulation is AS important as just tiring her out with walks and throwing a ball in the garden, probably more so in a Border Collie!

·
Registered
268 Posts
With border collies and many other breeds you need to give them both physical and mental exercise. When they have this they will settle nicely inbetween. I always suggest my handlers teach tricks as they can be done in the cold winters evenings in the house. They are not important in the great scheme of things, but they teach the dog to think and means you are paying your dog attention. Also our attitude and praise are much better when teaching silly things. (People are so proud that they've taught their puppy to shake a paw, even if it can't sit.) I asked my class last week to teach their dog something new and thought I'd better as well, so taught Peggy to put her toys away.
Some things I suggest: Teach a different command for each paw, retreive, scent, touch, twist/spin, weave round legs, roll over, shut the door, hide(put paw over nose), pray (sit with two feet on your lap, dog's head between his legs), go to mat/bed, tidy up toys. The list is endless. As someone suggested, go on You Tube. If anyone wants ideas how to teach the above, go to my website and e mail me.
Tanglewood Dog Training

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.