Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

DIY dog: stop changing our rooms!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Warthog, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Warthog

Warthog PetForums Newbie

So our new puppy has arrived: a spirited and independant 2 month old with a penchant for structural "improvements". Indeed, she seems intend on chewing through to next oors flat, via the skirting board.

So, can anyone recommend a safe spray or a household condiment that is unpleasant, but safe to let the walking mole grip know that chewing her toys is a far better idea!

I'm guessing that raw chilli rubbed down our walls is probably overkill.....:rolleyes:

2. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

Lol. I love your creative description of your dog and its behaviour, bless. You can get a spray for dogs peeing here there and everywhere not sure about chewing? could try the pets at home website, dunno if chilli a good idea though, although one of my dogs wouldnt bat an eyelid at eating it if had half the chance lol, she is a nutter though lol.

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Prevention is better than cure.

If you correct her behaviour when shes chewing, and supervise her at all times, then there shouldnt be a need to use sprays.

Most of them dont work.

4. Warthog

Warthog PetForums Newbie

We do that already, but we don't always see it happening...

...and all the time, simply, is not practical. Given the layout of our flat and where the safe area is located, and that we still need to attend to other things during the day too.

If it gets very bad, we will investigate.

My socks can strip motorcycle paint, so there's always a deterrent available...:blushing:

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Do you use a crate at all?

If not, then minimising the area she has access to when you arent around would of course minimise the damage.

Ive heard chilli does work, as can mustard.

Do you give her plenty of things for her to chew and keep her busy? Destruction is often linked to boredom.

6. Warthog

Warthog PetForums Newbie

No crate.
    Nothing against it, just never opted for it so far.

Boredom? Perhaps a little: she is two months old, so she is full of beans when awake, although she gets plenty of attention from both of us and has go toys to play with.

Deterrents? Chilli is possible. If its mustard, I'll probably chew the skirting board.

Otherwise a motion sensor so that any chewing triggers very loud playing of Tom Waits songs... Enough to put anyone off!! Either that or mozzy spray!!

7. zozzen

zozzen PetForums Junior

I wouldn't give a chili for a two month puppy for this purpose. Okay, i admit that i gave it to my dog before, and she seemed to be okay with this and developed a very nit-pick taste bud for food.

my dog was an excellent chewing machine, until she found her more lovely toy..... a empty bottle manufactured by Coca Cola. I guess she loves its remaining odors, and to add more fun, i put her favourite trick into the bottle. Since then, most chewing problem has been solved.

I agree a crate training can't help on chewing. She wouldn't chew when she's in , but she would do it when coming out.

8. reddogs

reddogs PetForums Senior

Tabasco sauce wiped on things youdon't want chewed can work, I've also heard Vicks is a good deterent too. Personally I can't actually stand the smell of the deterent sprays and they haven't worked in the past

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice