Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

DIY catproof fencing advice

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by H.M, Jun 10, 2021.

1. H.M

H.M PetForums Member

Hi all,

I'm looking into doing my own catproof fencing but I would to make sure that I will be doing it correctly. I saw that someone used these restraint straps https://www.screwfix.com/p/heavy-duty-restraint-straps-1200-x-150mm-pack-of-10/74769 that they bend themselves into shape without any special equipment so I hope a hammer is enough?

for the netting I have absolutely no clue what I'm supposed to buy or which one is good. I have looked at the catproofing thread but when I press the link it no longer available or there is an error. Is one of these from B&Q any good? https://www.diy.com/departments/out...garden_fencing_garden-mesh-netting_DIY1097553

I'm not that good at DIY but I'm definitely better than my dad and my brothers. But I have one brick wall that I would need to drill a hole into, which I hope will not be too difficult!!!? In the brick wall would I need to put in those plugs before putting a screw in?

I really hope and can get this done quickly and poor Danbi really want to go to the garden. He's sometimes waits behind the door asking to go out:( but a few weeks ago he figured he can jump on the water tank then over the fence. suddenly he's a very good jumper. Oreo will be so confused though why he can no longer jump out the garden lol.

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

You need a decent drill. & bit to secure to a brick wall, and an electric staple gun is very useful for securing netting to wood

H.M likes this.
  3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I think you will need a hammer drill to put anything into brick / concrete etc and you are correct you will need Rawl Plugs for the screws .
    Sorry cant help with the netting .

H.M and OrientalSlave like this.
  4. H.M

H.M PetForums Member

Thanks. Checked earlier today and the drill we have is not a hammer drill but my dad said it will drill fine into the brick wall. I'll let him do that then so if something wrong happens he can only blame himself:p

Im so excited. I'll show you how it looks if and when it gets done. The issue is the netting as im not 100% or even 90% sure if the ones from b&q are any good.

TriTri likes this.
  5. AstroKitties

AstroKitties PetForums Member

You'll def need a masonry bit and hammer drill to go into brick. Will just burn out a normal drill.

We looked at many companies offering fence protection and they all seem to have polypropylene netting with about 10mm holes. We took the plunge and ordered Protectapet in the end due to availability.

#5 AstroKitties, Jun 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    H.M, gskinner123 and buffie like this.
  6. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

We used butterfly mesh for our diy cat proofing. It's quite lightweight but seems quite strong. The gaps are about 7mm.

When my husband bent the brackets he created a little frame using metal rods to bend the metal round and did it just by hand no hammers involved!

And yes, electric staple gun was a god send!

H.M and TriTri like this.
  7. H.M

H.M PetForums Member

sorry I couldn't reply sooner. I was not feeling well yesterday and today:Grumpy. Thank you all for your advice.

Thank you. I had a look at the polypropylene netting as you suggested and the one I found seems good at a reasonable price. Here's the link I found 6mm x 7mm mesh semi rigid polypropylene netting 2m wide - Norfine Nets Limited I'm thinking this one would be best to buy.

I had a look at the butterfly mesh but I'm not too sure about it as it seems easily breakable. where did you get yours from as the one I saw on your tonk garden thread looks really nice.

yes, will be getting a staple gun. Does it need to be an electric one or will the non-electric heavy duty staple gun be just fine?

8. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

Ours came from Harrods horticultural, but tbh it looks identical to the mesh you've posted. I know we only got it from Harrods because we were buying a whole bunch of things for our allotment garden at the same time.

On the staple gun, yes reckon could do it with non electric but certainly with ours there was a lot of stapling above heads etc which was so easy with electric and would have been tough with non electric

H.M likes this.
  9. H.M

H.M PetForums Member

Thank you so much :)

10. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

I found the electrical one so much easier

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice