Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

DIY cat tree for a Maine Coon

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Leo77, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Leo77

Leo77 PetForums Junior

We are getting 2 Maine Coon kittens in the new year and want to make a large cat tree for them. Considering the size they get, we want something with beds big enough for them both. We have been looking online and they are so expensive to buy plus most of them are for a normal size moggies so don't come anywhere near how big they need to be.

Has anyone built an extra large cat tree? I love the look of the ones built with real tree logs but I haven't a clue where we can buy them from! Also looking for large industrial tubing so I can cut in half lengtheays and cover in carpet but again no idea where to get these tubes!

Any advice would be great

Thank you

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

New kittens ,how exciting we will need lots of pics when they finally come home.
    I cant really help with the building of the cat tree ,all we have done is to build outdoor platforms etc for Meeko's run in the garden we used decking for that.
    Carpet cardboard "inners" from a carpet warehouse might be useful to you ,usually they are happy to give these away.
    One of our members @Paddypaws built a cat pole with a carpet "inner"...........
    https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/who-needs-a-hi-cat-pole.247480/#post-1062139104

Leo77 likes this.
  3. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

Summercat and Leo77 like this.
  4. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

I would not advocate building a DIY tree for MCs unless you know exactly what you're doing. You need something that's weighted at the base and that has an even weight distribution in the poles and layout. Many a time MC owners have come home to find their trees fallen over, which poses a real danger to the cats if they're caught underneath.

I would be looking at the King Cat Trees or something like the Rapunzel or Xanthos on Zooplus. They are well worth the expense, as they are robust and they last.

Leo77 likes this.
  5. Clairabella

Clairabella PetForums VIP

These are brilliant DIY projects ❤️

Leo77 likes this.
  6. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

Hi and welcome ,

This is one of my scratching posts for a female MC.She sits on the top!
    It’s chest height. I had a tree with 3 levels bought off Amazon. You may need to consider securing it like your Christmas tree will need to be!

I have a Diogenes xxl barrel too. Your kits may snooze together but may also prefer a bit of space.

I wouldn’t bother with a cat bed as a cardboard box cut down at the front may be best at first.

You need 3 large litter trays and positioned not near their food bowl.
    image.jpg Please let us see the kits at some point and ask away. The favourite snoozing spot at mine is a window sill pad which came free from Zooplus.

7. Leo77

Leo77 PetForums Junior

Thanks guys, really useful. Called a local carpet shop today and they said I can have as many of the carpet inner tubes as I like so I may be making one in several rooms!

buffie likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice