UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never mind Guy Fawkes, it's the Diwali Fireworks that are worse around my way!!! :mad:

They've been really loud and so many of them, going on for hours now!! My parents had no idea where Jumpy was - they knew he was indoors but couldn't find him anywhere!! But as soon as I got in from work, he greeted me at the door and purred as I scooped him up for a cuddle. He has now gone back into his hidey hole - inside the shoe rack!! - and Pixie has inspected the new igloo bed I've just bought!! She's not so bothered by the noise as Jumpy is - he was outside on Saturday night early evening when the fireworks started and he came racing indoors in such a panic!!! :(

Diwali will last all week until Sat or Sun :( :(

Everyone keep their cats in and safe these noisy evenings :(

·
Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks
14,968 Posts
I agree, definitely worse than Guy Fawkes :(

It's been really bad around here since Saturday, sounds like a war zone, they are so loud they've been making me jump!

My 2 are not normally bothered but Frank was quite nervous on Saturday night :( he's OK tonight though, snuggled up on the bed :)

I don't remember fireworks being so loud when I was younger, it was all about the them looking pretty :) now it's just noise :mad::(

·
Registered
212 Posts
We have had fireworks non stop (literally no joke!) for the past 4 hours now, and still going. They are right outside the house, both sides so LOADS of noise going on!! The cats seem ok, they are curled up near us and we've kept curtains closed and all windows closed etc so hopefully that will help them not be too freaked out by them!! Not sure when its going to stop tonight, its disturbing my kids too!

G

·
Anyone who lets off fireworks Sunday to Thursday after 9pm is being pretty effing selfish if you ask me. What the hell is wrong with them???

·
Registered
212 Posts
spoke too soon! started up again just as it hit midnight... I have a feeling it will go on for a while still!

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
we have had it bad here - worse than bonfire night. did you see about the cat that got killed after some lowlife tied a firework to its back:mad: i think fireworks need to banned for personal use and only used at properly organised events. we will have these now until new year:mad:

·
Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks
14,968 Posts
we have had it bad here - worse than bonfire night. did you see about the cat that got killed after some lowlife tied a firework to its back:mad: i think fireworks need to banned for personal use and only used at properly organised events. we will have these now until new year:mad:
That's so so sad :( poor cat :(

I agree with fireworks being banned, should be licensed displays only!

I've had enough now, around here they seem to have them during the day as well as all night :mad: We'll have them until the new year too :mad:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was really taken by surprise with the loudness of the Diwali fireworks last night. The frequency/ferocity was much greater than 5 November fireworks. My cat (new to us this year, although he's now 3 years old) went out at 4pm during daylight but although I looked and called everywhere for him very shortly afterwards, I couldn't find him anywhere to get him safely back inside by the time the fireworks started. I was so worried for him as he hates fireworks and I spent all of yesterday evening until the early hours of the morning searching and calling for him every few minutes - with no success. I eventually heard him at 1.30am crying outside the front door. I believe he'd holed up somewhere in fright until the noise stopped, and was too scared to come out of cover and run back home. I'm very surprised to find out that fireworks are allowed to be let off until 1pm during Diwali (and also Chinese New Year). Fireworks are only allowed until midnight on 5 November (but the noise usually stops well before then in any case). Surely fireworks should stop well before 1pm, not only for frightened animals (domestic and wildlife) but also for humans who need to sleep .... especially if they have work the next day!

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was really taken by surprise with the loudness of the Diwali fireworks last night. The frequency/ferocity was much greater than 5 November fireworks. My cat (new to us this year, although he's now 3 years old) went out at 4pm during daylight but although I looked and called everywhere for him very shortly afterwards, I couldn't find him anywhere to get him safely back inside by the time the fireworks started. I was so worried for him as he hates fireworks and I spent all of yesterday evening until the early hours of the morning searching and calling for him every few minutes - with no success. I eventually heard him at 1.30am crying outside the front door. I believe he'd holed up somewhere in fright until the noise stopped, and was too scared to come out of cover and run back home. I'm very surprised to find out that fireworks are allowed to be let off until 1pm during Diwali (and also Chinese New Year). Fireworks are only allowed until midnight on 5 November (but the noise usually stops well before then in any case). Surely fireworks should stop well before 1pm, not only for frightened animals (domestic and wildlife) but also for humans who need to sleep .... especially if they have work the next day!
That's a shocking double standard, whoever made that rule!! :mad: So we can only let them off up til midnight, but anyone celebrating other festivals can let them off til 1am!!! :eek: Also being in West London I know how loud they were, Guy Fawkes wasn't nearly so loud here!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Its very embarrassing for me as an Indian to read that fellow Indians have caused so much distress :frown5: Though I personally don't celebrate Diwali as I'm not Hindu, I know how loud they can get 'coz I've seen it being celebrated back home. But in India (or in my city atleast), people aren't allowed to do anything leading to noise after 11pm (in India, any festival/ wedding = NOISE). The police is very strict about it.

The point of my post being...... maybe you could get people near where you live to sign a petition and give it to the police saying that there should be a stipulated time when loud fireworks can be allowed. It is obviously distressing for people, and babies and our lil pets too.

I know its unfair to you to have to go to so much trouble when a little consideration on their part would solve the problem. But I don't see that happening anytime soon.......

I'm sure people will understand if the police explains it to them :rolleyes:

·
Registered
329 Posts
why don't they just make fireworks that don't make so much noise etc...? ones that just look pretty when they explode. but then again i do agree they shouldn't be sold to the public - they're dangerous full stop. So many people/animals hurt and injured by them plus the disturbance factor... seems mad to sell them! it'd be really easy to catch people who'd got hold them illegally and are letting them off!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I am pretty sure they are not allowed to make this kind of noise after 11pm, you should of called the non emergency police number (101) and reported it.

Round our way we have had fireworks every night since halloween. There are 2 firework shops in our town and they are also for sale in the supermarket still - very cheap.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.