Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Diving training?

Discussion in 'Gundogs & Gundog Training' started by waltergibbs, May 31, 2015.

1. waltergibbs

waltergibbs vegetables are delicious

This may sound a bit odd, but like my wife said, "it's the internet-give it a shot" so here goes. Our chocolate lab has done dove hunting and some other gamebird retrieving. I am thinking about taking it duck hunting but it likes to dive underwater to get objects. Yes it started in a pool and yes it is a lot of fun to watch and yes he absolutely loves it and goes underwater first to retrieve a floating tennisball haha. I was wondering if there are any tips to help gently ween him off the diving behavior so I can start taking him as a duck dog? My oldest has arthritis and can't handle it like he used to. Don't want either to get hurt. Thanks for any tips and GENTLE-he is a very friendly and sensitive dog.

2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

I think you are overthinking. If your dog understands about retrieving game on land, then he should have no problems doing the same from water as he is already a good swimmer.

hackertime likes this.
  3. HelenVF

HelenVF PetForums Junior

Was just going to say what SB said. If he is sent out to retrieve a duck, he should just swim, unless the duck dives and then you've got a retriever who everyone would be envious of :)

Helen

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice