Diving training?

Discussion in 'Gundogs & Gundog Training' started by waltergibbs, May 31, 2015.

1. waltergibbs

waltergibbs vegetables are delicious

This may sound a bit odd, but like my wife said, "it's the internet-give it a shot" so here goes. Our chocolate lab has done dove hunting and some other gamebird retrieving. I am thinking about taking it duck hunting but it likes to dive underwater to get objects. Yes it started in a pool and yes it is a lot of fun to watch and yes he absolutely loves it and goes underwater first to retrieve a floating tennisball haha. I was wondering if there are any tips to help gently ween him off the diving behavior so I can start taking him as a duck dog? My oldest has arthritis and can't handle it like he used to. Don't want either to get hurt. Thanks for any tips and GENTLE-he is a very friendly and sensitive dog.

2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

I think you are overthinking. If your dog understands about retrieving game on land, then he should have no problems doing the same from water as he is already a good swimmer.

hackertime likes this.
  3. HelenVF

HelenVF PetForums Junior

Was just going to say what SB said. If he is sent out to retrieve a duck, he should just swim, unless the duck dives and then you've got a retriever who everyone would be envious of :)

Helen