Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Disturbing time at stables

Discussion in 'Horse Riding and Training' started by Nicky10, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

They put me on a horse that was pretty difficult, yes I've been riding for about 8 years now, but I haven't been on a horse for over a year. The horse went to bite me and the stable owner just casually said oh punch him in the face he won't do it again. Needless to say I won't be going back there

2. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

ooh thats a bit harsh! i used to smack rosie on the lip if she bit me and she didnt do it again after that! punching a horse in the face is a bit full on though! where was the stables?

3. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Yeah a light smack if they bite but not a full on punch in the face. It was over here more a private stable to let me get used to it again. I'm going to find another stable.

4. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

thats just downright cruel.. good luck with finding another yard!

5. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Hopefully I can I want to ride again properly but I don't have the time to buy a horse and look after it properly.

6. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

I used to ride as a kid on a pony named Buster Loved him.

I was around 9ish I think. One day they sent me out to get him from the field. He was in there with one other mare and an old retired police horse.

I got him on the lead and was walking back when the mare came running up behind us. She bite me full on on the shoulder and because of that I reflexed and my hand came back and gave her a big wallop on the head.

She left after that but I felt bad :(

7. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

But that wasn't intentional to "train" her

8. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

Yeh it wasnt thank fully I never had to ride her.

The police horse on the other hand needed training lol

9. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

i wish riding lessons werent so expensive.. ive had a slight pay rise at work so am using the extra money to go riding but i can only afford to go once a month. im never going to get any good! one lesson a month is better then nothing though!

10. RachyBobs

RachyBobs PetForums VIP

Oh my lord that is horrendus.. If it was me i wouldnt of kept my cool in that situation and probaly punched her in the head and left.. im a angry person like that though :D I hate curelty to any horses or animals.. i think u get what u give ;) x

11. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

I am looking for somewhere to start riding again, but its so hard to find somewhere that isnt just a school for kids to go round in circles, but I cant afford to loan a horse, or anything like that.
    I used to ride when I was younger, did all the competitions, and my sister(who is 10yrs older than me) and I had our own horse. We had to give him back(he was on loan) because my sister had a very bad car accident so couldnt look after him, and I was too young.

*Heidi*

12. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

It is better than nothing.

I was tempted believe me but I'm not a violent person.

It is really hard to find a good place that doesn't just have placid ponies for kids. I would have another horse on loan if I had the time for one

13. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

Thats the problem with riding schools... the horses are lovely but they are like machines just plodding round in circles. I had an arab mare on loan a while back and she was a dream to ride. I only had to give her the slightest signal and she would do what i wanted and her movement was amazing... she just used to float. I miss her:( I always feel like a novice again on a riding school pony.

14. kelseye

kelseye Banned

you should never smack a horse on its head a big no no.what was this riding place called and did you report them?

15. kelseye

kelseye Banned

i was a riding school teacher and i used to take my lessons in fields rather then the school far to small they are.

16. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

I like the riding schools where they have a variety of horses, from very sane stable horses, to the ones that are a little more cheeky and quick. It's nice to give yourself a little challenge once in a while, and see if you can put your riding skills into action :)

The schools where the horses just go round and round is annoying, and I don't choose schools like that to ride at, when I have the money to ride, that is.

17. Melx

Melx PetForums Member

One lesson a month is something but im sure you would want to do more than that?
    Before I bought my own horse I rang around and found a woman with some horses who was just going into dealing them. She asked me to go and meet her which I did and I was there for about 5 years riding all the different horses she got in.
    I got to ride all kinds of horses and learn everything I needed to know about owning one myself!!
    We are still very good friends 7 years on and if I ever have a query I go to her and she helps me choose horses when im looking for one to buy!

This gave me the opportunity to ride everyday and help out on the yard!
    Another option would be to call a riding school and explain to them that you want lessons but would you be able to help out on a Saturday of something in exchange for a ride?

Places everywere offer that because they dont have to pay anyone that way :arf:

Hope this helps!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice