UK Pet Forums Forum banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts
Im a bit like that when i see someone not cleaning after their dogs!
I cant even imagina a child falling over into a dog poo
So i do make a point of it and if they dont have a poo bag i give them mine
Husband think im mad ...;-D

We rarely meet other dog walkers when we're out, but when we do, we ALWAYS put ours back on their leads. Last week and again today, we saw the same lady with her two dogs, both off lead, two spaniels, dogs running at full pelt, everywhere and anywhere. In the week we were able to avoid them and move out of the way, no problem. Today though, she made no attempt to call her dogs back to her as they charged up to my three, in fact, I swear she was grinning. I forcefully blocked her dogs from mine and they stopped, that grin was there again, I knew she was thinking "silly woman", well, next time I don't think I'll block her dogs and see how they like to charge up to Flint.....:blink:

We'll see who's the "silly woman" then won't we! :D

I really dislike inconsiderate people.

the thing that really gets my back up is people who let their dogs roam the street. I have someone living very close who lets their dog do whatever it wants. It used to be quite scary for some people when it would run after them if they were walking dogs. I also saw it chasing kids. I approached the owner and they didn't want to know. Their reasoning was that the dog never does it when its with them so they thought I was making it up. They knew the dog roamed but thought it would act the same whilst out walking itself. I think they got reported cause they now keep a closer eye on it but if they are out the front the dog can happily wander and poo in my front garden. I have no proof but its the only loose dog I see. Makes me so angry :mad: rant over.

I'm always shocked at how ignorant even the good general dog owning public are. I've learnt so much on here, reading books and internet about dogs. It amazes me that not every other owner feels the need or desire to find out as much as they can about canine health, well being, training etc.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
I'm always shocked at how ignorant even the good general dog owning public are. I've learnt so much on here, reading books and internet about dogs. It amazes me that not every other owner feels the need or desire to find out as much as they can about canine health, well being, training etc.
That's the nub of it really isn't it?
I know of people who own dogs and can't walk them far due to the owners age or disability, but they try and enhance and fulfill the dogs life in other ways. :)
Far better than the 20 or so owners I saw out the other day while I was walking a clients dog. :rolleyes:
While we were playing hunt the ball, tag and wait games, they were all walking around with their heads somewhere else and their dogs just out for a leg stretch and a poo.

Oh, that is except one, who had an elderly dog that was being leapt upon by a giant puppy half it's size again :(
The poor dog was covered in mud, roaring at this pup that took no notice and the owner couldn't see a problem with it, even though I pointed out the poor old dog was limping heavily :mad:

It amazes me that not every other owner feels the need or desire to find out as much as they can about canine health, well being, training etc.
it's the people who see their dog doing red squishy poo and don't think 'maybe something's wrong here' that always shock me! tia's was never that bad because i fed her OK food, but it didn't look quite right so i did some reading and changed her food. easy!
and having a dog with no recall would terrify me, i don't get that.

Do you think you get a distorted view of the general dog owning public from being on this forum?

I'm quite disappointed with how most people treat their dogs in the real world, even many of those that profess to love their dogs don't give them what I consider to be fairly basic care and attention.

We are the oddities I think not them :(
I would never have given unasked for advice to the couple who had a halti on their samoyed puppy, where he was thrashing around and in danger of hurting his neck.

And I would never have very arrogantly confiscated a couples' golf ball that they were throwing for their labradoodle. I put it in my pocket and told them how dangerous it was.

And you suddenly notice dogs off lead along the side of the road. There was one today marching along beside a very busy main road and she never even turned round to see if the dog was following, which he wasn't.

But no, I don't think we are the oddities.

I must be in the minority in that very few if any dog owners around here have annoyed me. The vast majority I meet are kind, considerate and lovely although I'm sure not everyone would agree with me. From my perspective I'm not too fussed if a dogs happens to run up to mine because they're not perfectly trained etc. but if Kes had problems with other dogs I'm sure I would mind. Most the people I see out walking or when I walk are very friendly, usually exchange a few bits of conversation about the dogs we have and now and again we'll meet one that is good for a quick play which is always nice. I think a lot of dog owners haven't got very well trained dogs, but if their dogs are friendly then I don't think of it a too problematic so long as the owners are in control when needed. I'm sure I'm far too relaxed about it all compared to some on here but I stress enough without having my blood pressure rise everytime I see something I think of as inconsiderate.

As for people not walking their dogs I wouldn't know because I wouldn't see them if they were never walked so wouldn't know they were there! I live in a terraced street and I rarely spend any time outside on the street so I wouldn't feel right judging someone and thinking they never walked their dog etc, I'm sure they mightn't think I walk mine seeing as all I seem to do is bundle her in the back of the car twice a day.

I have a major pet hate when I see people being dragged down the street by there dogs.
I honestly want to go up to them and explain to them how to train them out if it. How can a walk like that be enjoyable for the dog or the owner???
If the dog isn't even lead trained surely it doesn't know recall or anything else for that.

Do you think you get a distorted view of the general dog owning public from being on this forum?

I'm quite disappointed with how most people treat their dogs in the real world, even many of those that profess to love their dogs don't give them what I consider to be fairly basic care and attention.

We are the oddities I think not them :(
In a word - YES!

I think people on dog forums, in general, tend to very dog orientated and not just your "average dog owner". It can come as a shock when you meet people with dogs who aren't as obsessed by everything dog as we are :eek::)

I must be in the minority in that very few if any dog owners around here have annoyed me. The vast majority I meet are kind, considerate and lovely although I'm sure not everyone would agree with me. From my perspective I'm not too fussed if a dogs happens to run up to mine because they're not perfectly trained etc. but if Kes had problems with other dogs I'm sure I would mind. Most the people I see out walking or when I walk are very friendly, usually exchange a few bits of conversation about the dogs we have and now and again we'll meet one that is good for a quick play which is always nice. I think a lot of dog owners haven't got very well trained dogs, but if their dogs are friendly then I don't think of it a too problematic so long as the owners are in control when needed. I'm sure I'm far too relaxed about it all compared to some on here but I stress enough without having my blood pressure rise everytime I see something I think of as inconsiderate.

As for people not walking their dogs I wouldn't know because I wouldn't see them if they were never walked so wouldn't know they were there! I live in a terraced street and I rarely spend any time outside on the street so I wouldn't feel right judging someone and thinking they never walked their dog etc, I'm sure they mightn't think I walk mine seeing as all I seem to do is bundle her in the back of the car twice a day.
I agree that we shouldn't judge what we don't know as Kilo is often bundled into the car too. The people here tell me that they don't walk theirs - they are amazed that Kilo is come rain or shine.

I have a major pet hate when I see people being dragged down the street by there dogs.
I honestly want to go up to them and explain to them how to train them out if it. How can a walk like that be enjoyable for the dog or the owner???
If the dog isn't even lead trained surely it doesn't know recall or anything else for that.
No dog comes ready trained. We've all been 'walked' by our dogs why would you want to go up as if you're perfect? As far as you know they got the dog from rescue a week ago and are doing their best and out of patience that day so given up the fight temporarily.

This is why I try not to judge people. Everyone has crap days. Everyone has their reasons and nobody else, especially a stranger, really knows what is going on. Maybe the person on the park not paying attention and walking round as quick as possible has just had a bereavement, maybe they dont' feel jolly enough to make the walk fun for their dog that day. That's my way of thinking anyway.

I have a family member who makes me despair with the way she owns dogs :(

She is the type to buy whatever type is in fashion at the moment, have it a few months then sell it when it's still messing indoors because she seems to think they come fully trained :mad: She very, very rarely walks her dogs (except maybe to 'show them off' when they are cute puppies) She remarked when we got Angel that we'd made a good choice as she wouldn't need any exercise :confused: There's loads of other stuff that she drives me mad with, I'm just glad she lives far enough away that we rarely see her, I'm actually embarrassed that we are related and I just don't 'get' her dog attitude because as a family we were all brought up the same way.

I agree that we shouldn't judge what we don't know as Kilo is often bundled into the car too. The people here tell me that they don't walk theirs - they are amazed that Kilo is come rain or shine.
I do find it amazing people don't think to walk their dogs. I always assumed it was common knowledge that every dog should be walked every day, I wasn't brought up with dogs but it would never occur to me or my family to have a dog and keep it indoors all the time. Very odd imo.

I do find it amazing people don't think to walk their dogs. I always assumed it was common knowledge that every dog should be walked every day, I wasn't brought up with dogs but it would never occur to me or my fairly to have a dog and keep it indoors all the time. Very odd imo.
Yup. Never really came across it until I moved here - same as with the other stuff in my long post on this thread. They destroy the house - who would have thunk it???? - so are kept outdoors most of the time, frequently escape, run riot in the streets until they are caught and returned. Poor buggers.

Yup. Never really came across it until I moved here - same as with the other stuff in my long post on this thread. They destroy the house - who would have thunk it???? - so are kept outdoors most of the time, frequently escape, run riot in the streets until they are caught and returned. Poor buggers.
Amazing. Nobody here lets their dogs run amok, I've seen a few people hanging out by their front doors with their dogs pottering about around the house and such but nothing more than that. Would hate to be around dogs running loose tbh. :mad:

The only dog people I know are the owners of rescue dogs.

They are a different breed I think.

Most people who get a rescue do so because they want to help a dog. This usually goes hand in hand with the best care they can give.

Working on the rehoming team for a staffie rescue I get to meet so many wonderful families who just want to help a rescue dog.

Everyday I am humbled by the wonderful families who give these dogs a home

Discussion starter · #39 ·
No dog comes ready trained. We've all been 'walked' by our dogs why would you want to go up as if you're perfect? As far as you know they got the dog from rescue a week ago and are doing their best and out of patience that day so given up the fight temporarily.

This is why I try not to judge people. Everyone has crap days. Everyone has their reasons and nobody else, especially a stranger, really knows what is going on. Maybe the person on the park not paying attention and walking round as quick as possible has just had a bereavement, maybe they dont' feel jolly enough to make the walk fun for their dog that day. That's my way of thinking anyway.
I was actually talking about those you either know or talk to, and how uncaring many of them seem.
I made a comment about the ones I saw the other day because there were just so many of them not even communicating with their dogs

Amazing. Nobody here lets their dogs run amok, I've seen a few people hanging out by their front doors with their dogs pottering about around the house and such but nothing more than that. Would hate to be around dogs running loose tbh. :mad:
Loads here; hate it when they run up to us with Kilo on lead as his training takes a step backwards unless I manage it well, hate having to drive extra carefully on some roads in case one runs out or is doing zoomies in the street, hate being chased whilst out running, get tired of picking up dog poo from my front garden, get tired of catching and returning them......

21 - 40 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.