Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Distorted views

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rona, Oct 27, 2012.

1. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Do you think you get a distorted view of the general dog owning public from being on this forum?

I'm quite disappointed with how most people treat their dogs in the real world, even many of those that profess to love their dogs don't give them what I consider to be fairly basic care and attention.

We are the oddities I think not them :(

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Absolutely Rona; I was actually thinking about this today.

3. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

I'm the same. I always expect people we meet on walks to be as sensible and considerate as people on here seem and usually end up disappointed :eek:

4. rona

How so? ..........

5. Modwyn

Modwyn Guest

Yep, I expect dog owners to be considerate and forward thinking but alas no.

6. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

I'm not sure really, some of the threads posted on here I find are enough to shock me.

7. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I agree with that rona, my sister could never even begin to understand how I would suddenly stop her constant waffle in order just to feed them let alone pet them. She asked why they couldn't wait til later! :mad:

By brother doesn't even come here any more, I once had a party (when I only had my Staff & JRT) which he came to and al he did was moan moan moan about the dogs being in the way! :mad:

If they read some of the things posted on here they'd be livid. They're the kind who spout on about kids in the UK living in poverty but do s*d all to help them! Don't speak to either of them now, not since I've had Mals in fact and if they came round now I'd let them know immediately 'If you can't accept my fussing around the dogs, don't come in!' I'm a much stronger dog owner now and this forum has helped me to see that there are loads of people who feel just like me. Before I thought maybe my 'family' were right! :(

8. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Where to start? A person a street away from me thinking that it is acceptable to have bought and given away two puppies in the last year and now has another that spends all day getting frustrated in the garden.

Seeing a dog on a lead often just means that you shout to the owner that yours is friendly rather than using a lead yourself (if one is carried).

The fact that so many dogs don't leave their gardens here.

The dogs that get a very fast walk through the fields - no play or interaction from the owners. I have timed a particular young BC's walk through and sniff around whilst owner sits on bench at 6 minutes. He wrecks the house apparently. No sh*t Sherlock!

The loose dogs roaming the streets.

The lack of consideration with so many dogs let offlead in the fields with the owners not caring about what they get up to.

Letting a dog with a history of attacking several dogs continue to be walked offlead unmuzzled.

The breeding of a bitch back to back more than once (another person near me).

The use of harsh physical force rather than actually training the dog.

I am certain there are many more :blink::eek:.

It was on my mind this morning as I was thinking how lovely it is walking early at the weekend as the 'responsible' folk are usually the only ones out!

#8 Dogless, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
    Luz likes this.
  9. I agree rona :eek:

10. Ariana1985

Ariana1985 PetForums Member

What did annoy me -when we adopted Dizzy we went to the park , and as we are walking him there is a dog runing in our direction ...owner is having a cigarette so i shouted over -that i dont know how Dizzy will react on other dogs ..dog owner replied "mine dont like dogs anyway" ...so im struggling with 2 dogs (shy my deafie is friendly but barky ") Dizzy is moving forward .
    Thank God for some stranger that was walking buy to chase that dog away from us...
    If one of my dogs bit that dog -i would be the bad one cos my dogs are bigger than his dog
    But why on earth that dog (who doesnt like dogs) is running loose ?

#10 Ariana1985, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  11. rona

They've got to either lie, learn or be pretty thick skinned to stick around though :)

I try not to think too much about the plight of local dogs, it would make me in a bad mood every day and depress me dreadfully.

On our 4 mile walk this morning we saw one other dog, a Mal that was doing near enough the same route as us :thumbsup:

12. Shazach

Shazach PetForums VIP

Unfortunately yes.
    But there are good ones out there too, I met a lovely lady on our walk today who was walking her 10 year old GSD and her friends 5 year old cross. She'd stopped because the cross was watch she called "crosspatch" (?) or DR. We chatted and it was lovely to meet someone with similar outlook and values.

The people at my training class are likewise very dedicated dog owners.

13. rona

There seems to be too many that think their dogs have some right over all others :confused:

14. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

It does really get me down. Someone that lived in our street said "That's the most walked dog ever" the other day - I have seen theirs walked about three times since I've been here. Loads of people ask if I go out everyday...to me that is what you do - unless the dog is ill / injured etc.

Definitely - I meet some good 'uns too :):). You unfortunately tend to remember the bad don't you as they make more of an impression in the main?

15. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Although my dogs are very very important to me I will shut them out if I have a visitor who is not keen on dogs. We used to entertain in the evening every so often so people had non dog clothes on. Dogs were sometimes allowed to greet guests and then were shut away.
    But then my child was not allowed to hang around adult guests either.

16. rona

I usually remember the nice ones, cos they are the ones I talk too :D

17. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I remember them in terms of being pleased to have met them and hoping I see them again; the bad ones stick in my mind as I either dread seeing them again or can't get the poor dog / dogs out of my mind!

18. Ariana1985

Ariana1985 PetForums Member

Sadly yes .. My pup is ok with dogs but it doest give other dogs right to run straight into mine (i understand a situation when other dog owner is running and calling their dog but not when hes uniterested in whats going on .especialy when its his dog that is agressive
    We usually stay away from other dogs i got 2 10ft training leads as im still working on a recal (if it safe i let them off as i know Shy will stay by my side)
    And still working on how to keep my deaf dog from barking at animals and passers by (she does it for attention -but as shes growing people rend to move away from her -and that what triggered her barking -when she was a pup everyone came over to say hello to her)

19. Pupcakes

Pupcakes Lady of The Terrors.

It does make me feel as though Im going a little mad walking the dogs by me. People think Im mad for carrying a bag full of toys and various other leads for every situation. But when their dogs s*d off over the hill and my toy brings them back, Im not so silly then...

Its such a lovely feeling when you meet someone who leads up their dogs when they see yours on a lead or stands aside to let you pass. I always do that for people it pees me off when people cba or dont care enough to do the same back.

Coming on here reminds me that Im not mad or being silly, that its just being polite and considerate.

xxx

20. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

Ariana!!! Same thing happened to me when i was just getting to know my rehomed dog too- again a lovely older lady stepped in- took her own dog's leash and clipped it on this guy's dog then marched the dog back over to the guy and gave him a MOUTHFUL at the same time... i was up the hill and she was STILL there berating him- you do not mess with an agry weegie granny!! Hope he learnt his lesson but his surly, apathetic demeanour makes me think not.

Rona- agreed many people are still in the dark ages- except that they haven't realised our environment isn't- urban sprawl, population growth, more people affording dogs- they forget the lax standards they imagine of the 'old days' need not apply!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice