Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dissolving stitches

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Daisy91, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Daisy91

Daisy91 PetForums Newbie

Hi, does anyone on here know how long it takes for dissolving stitches to dissolve? My kitten Luna was spayed a month ago and the knot where the stitches are tied is still very much in place.
    20201001_151125.jpg 20201001_151141.jpg
    Is tough to see against her fur but the knot is tied into her skin where the little red spot is in the 2nd picture. It doesn't hurt her when I touch it but she has started pulling at it when grooming which is irritating the tiny bit of open wound that's left there. Since her fur is growing back she has started grooming there more often.

I keep an eye on her and stop her when ever she starts to bite at it. But I'm hesitant to call the vets incase they make her wear the body suit again. She hated that thing and it caused her so much stress. (We had to take an emergency trip to the vets when I spotted blood in her urine, the vet put it down to stress from wearing the body suit.)

Does anyone know if theres a way to speed up the dissolving process? All the other stitches are gone so I imagine it's because this one is on the outside that it's taking longer to go.

Thanks very much

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Why not ring the vet that spayed her?

3. Daisy91

Daisy91 PetForums Newbie

I will if I have too but I'm trying to avoid it if possible. If I tell them she is pulling at it then I suspect they will make me put her back in the body suit. Which, when she was wearing it before, stressed her out so much she ended up peeing blood, and was eating and drinking very little. I took her to an emergency vet (not the vet that spayed her as they don't do emergency appointments) but they couldn't find any signs of any kind of illness and it stopped once they took the suit off so we are certain that was the cause.

We weren't very happy with the vet that spayed her, for a few reasons. But we are not in a position to change vets at the moment. So we are trying to see if there is a way we can deal with this ourselves first.

4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

After a month I doubt if they would want her back in a body suit , the actual spay wound must be healed by now .I would imagine if they did anything at all they would snip it just as they would if it were a non dissolving stitch.

5. Silverdoof

Silverdoof PetForums Member

I would contact the vet that did the op. I looked up online and it says in some cases it can take several months but most dissolve within a week of two.

Our vet uses dissolvable internal stitching & glues the outer skin. The recovery rate is phenomenal compared to ordinary stitches

if shes working at the wound site then something annoying her & up to your vet to suss it out - just be nice but very firm with them x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice