Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Disolvable Stitches

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by sarahdisco, May 29, 2010.

1. sarahdisco

sarahdisco PetForums VIP

Hi Guys,

Hoping you can give me some advice. We had Spartacus spayed last week- she's fine and the incision site looks to be healing well. E Collar not really bothering her until she wants a bath.

The stitches however dont appear to be dissolving. The vet said they were the disolvable ones and to keep the collar on for 10 days.

10 days are up tomorrow - do you think we'd be okay to remove the collar - even though the stitches are still there? Or should we leave it on until the stitches go completely. The actual wound is scarring up now - seems to be healing well.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

thanks

2. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

If the stiches are on the outside they aren't dissolvable. Sometimes they can take forever to go but ring your vet.

3. sarahdisco

sarahdisco PetForums VIP

Thanks HollyM - a quick phone call to the vet and we were sorted. Well, sort of.

The stitches are dissolvable - apprently after she had the op they didnt put a collar on her - and she ripped the stitches out. So, they restitched her, giving her an extra layer of stitches this time and it's the end of the stitches I can see.

Vet said to give her another day or so, as they had such a palaver putting (and keeping) the collar on her that we may as well be overcautious and keep it on a while longer. She's pretty much used to it apart from wanting to bathe! I can imagine if we take it off and have to put it back on she wont be impressed!

So, happy customer puts the phone down, Spartacus jumps on me for a snooze and in what can only be described as advanced kitty yoga, managed to sit on her bum, with her tail though her legs so she can lick her tail. One happy kitty! :001_cool:

Next minute, I hear licking... look down and she's managed to contort herself into a position where she can get at her stitches! Only the fur around it, but little monster used me so she could get at the flamin stitches! Manipulative bugger. :rolleyes:

I've had a good look at it, and it's just one side of the incision thats still in (looks like an outy belly button with a perfect silvery scar down the middle, although the vet tells me thats fine)- the other side has come out and the incision has held up. Think I'll give her until tomorrow morning and see where we're up to.

Cant wait for this collar to come off - she keeps attempting to headbutt in the middle of the night... and I get a cone to the face!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice