Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Discrimination

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rona, Feb 21, 2017.

1. rona

rona Still missing my boys

kimthecat likes this.
  2. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

To make it fair , we should have the same right to a civil marriage of if gays can now be married then they should not be allowed to have a civil partnership.

Calvine and cheekyscrip like this.
  3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I had assumed civil partnerships were no longer performed now everyone could get married.
    But if they are still a choice then they should be available for all.

4. rona

I was actually really peeved when they introduced them, as I as an unmarried person had no and I think still have no real rights should OH die

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. stuaz

stuaz PetForums VIP

Make sure your partner has a will would be good start to avoid any possible issues.

There are some legal rules that can help/protect people who just live together but are not married and it's a bit messy if the property is in just one persons name, or no joint accounts etc.

6. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

"The judges said there was a potential breach of their human rights, but the government should have more time to decide the future of civil partnership." "Dan Squires, QC for the secretary of state for education, who has responsibility for equalities within government, said it had been decided at this stage not to extend civil partnerships to opposite-sex couples, or to either abolish or phase them out." (both quotes from the BBC)

I understood them to be an invention to smooth the path to same sex marriage, or potentially to avoid needing to introduce it at all depending how it went rather than anything else, but always a bit of a curate's egg.

Lurcherlad, rona and kimthecat like this.
  7. Colliebarmy

Colliebarmy PetForums VIP

The Judges ruled against the couple but said they were being discriminated against.... equality for all.... but those who shout the loudest are more equal than some

Lurcherlad and rona like this.
  8. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

My neighbour and best friend , her partner died suddenly last year after being together for about 40 years .
    We went to register his death and the registrar said she couldnt as they weren't married and she then read out a list of criteria and one was "Present at death " which my friend had been so she was allowed to register it .
    She was really upset about it .

kamikaze and Lurcherlad like this.
  9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Equality needs to be for all, surely?

Calvine, ForestWomble and kamikaze like this.
  10. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

I found that a little bizarre seeing Civil partnerships were originally established for Gay people as same sex marriage was forbidden at that time.

Perhaps it would have been better to end future civil partnerships when Gay marriage was legalised?

cheekyscrip likes this.
  11. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Here, once a couple have been together for 3 years they have the same rights as a married couple in terms of splitting assets etc when the relationship ends or one partner dies.

rona likes this.
  12. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Not the case in the UK.

Some people still believe they have rights as a "common law wife" - again, not so.

Of course, people can draw up a legal agreement to protect themselves, but in this "modern world" it would just be better to equalise the marriage/partnership situation for everybody

Lilylass, rona and KittenKong like this.
  13. rona

But why should I, in an almost 30 year relationship have less rights than someone splitting up after a 1 year marriage?

Lurcherlad and newfiesmum like this.
  14. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I thought if you had been together a long time you had some claim on the estate, but you won't get the government's funeral payout as that is only for surviving spouses. You won't get the first year's widow's pension, either, presuming they haven't abolished that.

As to refusing a couple the same rights as gays, the whole world has gone stark, staring mad. Thirty or forty years ago, I clearly recall in the local paper an article about the Catholic church refusing to marry a couple where the man was paralysed from the waist down and in a wheelchair. They declared that marriage was solely for the procreation of children and since this man was incapable of consummating the marriage, there could be no marriage. I kid you not. Now the whole thing has been turned upside down and we have gays allowed to marry and have civil partnerships, but not heterosexual couples. Obviously the latter are the ones who are in the minority.

cheekyscrip and rona like this.
  15. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

I agree, you shouldn't have less rights.

The government have always favoured marriage and "the family" but with Gay couples that was never an option. It could be argued Gay people were still discriminated against as they could enter a "compromise" Civil partnership yet still not allowed to marry.

I agree though. Now Gay marriage is legal there's less need for civil partnerships as far as the government's concerned (not my own viewpoint I hasten to add) as they favour the institution of marriage.

I agree though, it should be up to individual couples whether heterosexual or same sex to choose whether to live together, enter a civil partnership or marry.

#15 KittenKong, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    ameliajane likes this.
  16. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I understand that Civil partnerships already existed and that it was adapted for gays . Will google that later to be certain .

17. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Something that puzzles me, that I'm sure someone will have the answer to, is if a gay married couple split, do they have to go through the whole legal divorce thing before they can remarry? I mean, is it legally binding and if they marry someone else without a divorce, can they be charged with bigamy?

cheekyscrip likes this.
  18. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I thought civil partnerships were just an interim measure bought in until civil marriages were approved?

They are the same except you can't cite adultery as grounds for divorce in a partnership.

Confused I am.

19. rona

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/f...ving-together-and-marriage-legal-differences/
    "If you don't have children and your partner is the sole owner, the only way you may be able to claim long-term rights to the property is if you are able to show you have a 'beneficial interest' in it. This is a way of getting a court to formally recognise contributions you have made towards the home. The court could also recognise an understanding you had with your ex-partner when you bought the home that you would have a share in it if it were sold. If you are able to prove you have a beneficial interest in the home, you may be able, for example, to get the right to live in the home, prevent your ex-partner from living there or get a share of the proceeds if the home is sold".

20. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

It's an accident of terminology as far as I know in that unmarried couples were often referred to as in a civil partnership whereas a Civil Partnership as introduced for same sex couples has weight in law.

Have to say, I'm with Rona 100% on this. It's a travesty that we keep a traditional, church based definition of a legal couple nowadays for some but not others.

Lurcherlad and kimthecat like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice