Discharge..nerves shattered

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Lyrastar, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Lyrastar

Lyrastar PetForums Junior

Wondering if anyone can give me some advice please as i am getting nowhere from vets at all.

My 3 1/2 girl was mated 2 weeks ago with a tie, her season ended bang on 21 days which was 3 or so days ago. For about 4 days i had noticed some discharge milky white with a yellow tinge, on Thursday morning we went to the vets, they checked urine which was fine and done a scan to check for any infection, no sign of infection was seen, he could give me no answers and just said to see how she goes.

3am this morning i was at the emergency vets as the discharge has more of a green tinge to it and the tip of her vagina had swollen and was red almost like a perfect ball shape on top of the tip of her vagina, i took urine with me which they never checked, they scanned her again and said no sign of infection and it may just be the discharge is associated with the end of her season? The lump had dissapeared by the time we got there, they said swellings can be associated with hormones.

(Also i should let you know that the discharge has no smell and she is eating and drinking as normal and fine within herself, maybe peeing slightly more but thats it)

I just feel something is not right, maybe this discharge is normal for the end of her season and i have nevet noticed it before and i haven't been as observent as i am now as she may be pregnant, still 2 weeks before i would know for sure.

Just off phone to vets and explained i am not happy, they will see is again tomorrow morning but i feel its going to be another waste of time with them.

If anyone could give me any advice please i would really really appreciate it.

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

She should not have a discharge, especially not one with a green tinge.

If she was mated two weeks ago, was it the first week of her season?

What Breed is she?

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Normally any discharge from anywhere that has a yellowish and particularly green appearance is quite often a sign of infection. Are you sure she isn't drinking more then normal? With uterine infections they often drink more too. You can get two types of uterine infection open and closed, with open any infection usually drains and you can get a discharge that can look anything from quite normal season looking, to thickened, odd coloured and even foul smelling sometimes. With closed you get none of the warning discharge as the infection gets sealed in the uterus. What the two types often have in common though is that you see more drinking too or will as it progresses.

4. Lyrastar

She was mated with the same breed.
    And also it was day 10 of her season thay she was mated.

5. Lyrastar

No shes not drinkin anymore than is usual for her. The vet has checked twice with scan for pyo in last few days and says there is no sign of infection and that pyo usually doesn't present itself until a few weeks after season has finished.

6. Sled dog hotel

Looks like uterine infection like pyo at least has been ruled out. It is however possible for dogs during the mating process to get bacterial infections. Not saying for one moment this could have occurred but it is possible for it to occur.

7. Lyrastar

What could i say tomorrow when i am back at the vets? As they just dont seem to be taking it seriously? Would a bacterial infection show up in urine? Her urine was checked on Thursday and it was all clear nothing showed up.

8. Sled dog hotel

I suppose to be on the safe side they could take vaginal swabs or swabs of the discharge and do a culture that would probably confirm if its anything or not or would assume so. You could ask the vet if its worth doing to make absolutely sure.

9. Lyrastar

I will certainly ask and let you know. But as its an emergency appointment they are hesitant to do these things they tell me as its an emergency appointment they say that further investigation is usually done on a normal appointment, seems backwards to me.

10. Sled dog hotel

If you are worried still (understandably) and your not happy is there not another vets you could get a second opinion from?

BlueJay likes this.
  11. Lyrastar

I actually did phone another one for advice and they said that as i have been to the vets twice and they have scanned etc they would be reluctant to disagree with what i have been told.

12. Violet Turner

Violet Turner Banned

olive was mated about 7 weeks ago but has been having normal discharge and the pups are fine.... don't worry!

Violet Turner x

13. BlueJay

BlueJay ★ Merry Nogmas ★

Green discharge is not normal though, is it.
    Foolish to say another dog with a single common factor in different circumstances is fine just because yours is.

14. Violet Turner

Violet Turner Banned

#14 Violet Turner, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  15. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

If you read the opening post carefully you will see that the discharge has a green tinge.

16. Violet Turner

Violet Turner Banned

17. Lyrastar

I will try and put photos up if that would help?

18. Violet Turner

Violet Turner Banned

does your vet have an out of hours number because you probably want to ring up ....
    yes pictures would help

19. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Green discharge is never normal.

OP. Did your Vet take your bitch's temperature?

20. Lyrastar

I have already been twice to an out hours vet, once on Thursday and then this morning at 3am.