Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Discharge after whelp

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by kristy, Jul 1, 2009.

1. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

can anyone tell me what sort of discharge a dog should have after giving birth?its been nearly a week since we had our pups and kristys discharge is like creamy blood??? :eek:she has it trailing behind her most of the time, is this normal? how long should it be like this? she seems very well in herself,shes eating loads,drinking and very happy in herself but was a little worried about the amount of the stuff

2. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

If I remember correctly Tegan was like that for quite a while when she had her litter. I remember phoning the vet and him saying it was normal:)

3. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

same here............my bitch had it for almost 3 weeks.

4. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Yes it is very normal..It can go on for a few weeks after welp.

5. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

Thanks, i was starting to worry and kept looking for signs of her been poorly but she seems happy in herself. i keep washing her and the hubby thinks im cracking up because all i seem to be doing is following her round with a mop..lol

6. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

just another quick question, she is a very good tempered dog although does tend to prefer me to my other half, if he comes down in the morning she can sometimes growl at him when he goes in the kitchen area, is that normal and will she overcome that as it just worried me for when the puppies are older and anyone comes to see them, ive told my other half shes just been protective of her little ones and hopefully she will relax as they get a little older.has anyone else had any problems like that?

7. crazycrest

crazycrest PetForums VIP

Hi Kristy, it's all perfectly normal & as the pup's get older your girl will get better with people around them. Totally agree with all of the above re discharge x

1 person likes this.
  8. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

I agree,
    Our bitch was in her whelping box when the gas man came to service the fire,she never let up growling and smiling at him,the pups were 2 weeks old,by six weeks she couldn't care less who came to see them ;)

9. kiera09

kiera09 PetForums Senior

Hiya, the bloody discharge it totally normal hun! Don't worry! My girl had her litter 3 weeks ago and it's slowing down alot now! Yes my girl is very protective over her babies, she will calm down, we leave Coco out the back garden when people call over-It's much easier! (and less stressfull for her ;)) xx

10. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Teigan my chihuahua was always curling upto my hubby for cuddles even though she was my girl, but when she was pregnant towards the end, she wouldnt let my hubby stroker her or cuddle her, she would lower her head let her ears drop and stare at him. Even when she had the pups she would do it, but the puppies are now two weeks old now and she is allowing my hubby to come closer, although he wont put his hand out to smooth her yet lololololo oh to be a woman eh!!!! You dog is going to be fine dont worry, she will accept your other half again. if not get rid of the other half lolololol no only joking. xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice