UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering how much discharge is normal in a cat after having kittens?

Pip bled for a couple of days after giving birth but since that stopped there has been nothing until today. She gave birth on the 11th of october and I have noticed that she has a yellow discharge today? It almost looks similar to the mucus plug. I phoned the vets who said it is normal for her to have discharge like this for a few weeks, I just wanted to check if anyone else has experience of this? I did a quick google and have terrified myself with the thought of pyrometra!

She is eating slightly less that she usually does but her usual is about 6 sachets a day with dry food and kitten milk, by less I just mean that she isn't finishing every sachet, she isn't acting differently or anything. Any experience that anyone has would be really helpful :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I'd be a little worried at a yellow discharge two weeks after kittening... well, more the colour really rather than the timing. I've had queens, just very occasionally, still spot a tiny amount of bloody discharge two weeks after giving birth but not a yellow discharge. It's hard giving advice on a forum; you don't want to send somebody rushing off to the vet unnecessarily, but I would keep a very close eye on her. It can also be hard to know how much discharge there is as cats are so fastidious.

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
i would also be worried with a yellow discharge, my queen has spotting of blood for a week after having kittens but its not yellow.
does your vet do a free check for queens after kittening, my vet does so he always checks my girls.
not to worry you but when my girl had pyometra she was eating and acting fine, no temp or any signs except the discharge, is there maybe a retained kitten, can you feel anything?
i wouldnt want you to rush to the vets but if she was mine i would have a vet check done, would stop you worrying if alls fine and if there is a problem can be sorted sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks :) I don't mind popping to the vets to check that she is ok, just they were so positive that it is normal and I shouldn't worry, especially since she isn't acting differently. They said that anything from 'straw coloured to brown' discharge is normal for a few weeks after the birth. I said to them that I would keep an eye on her and may take her in tomorrow anyway, I would rather an unnecessary trip than not taking her when she needs to go. They just seemed so sure and I didn't want to go against their advice, just wanted to check what people with experience think! :confused:

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry Catcoonz, didin't see your post until I had posted mine! I can't feel anything in there, but will check again when she is done feeding her kittens. I don't know if they do a free check, the cats protection people are paying for her at the moment but I plan to give them any money that I make from the kittens anyway, and I don't mind paying. I will try to get her to the vets today, I am waiting in for someone to collect stuff form the house so if they come within the next hour then I will take her in.(they should really have been already) If not then I will take her in first thing tomorrow, if she doesn't show any other signs. Typical timing, I have been off for 2 weeks and this is the only day that I have commitments like waiting in for someone and taking my mum to the airport later :rolleyes: not a big deal though, it can all be rearranged if need be!

·
Registered
608 Posts
As with others I have never seen this so don't think it can rightly be called "normal". I have seen blood coloured discharge, dark but getting paler or more watered down.

At least you will know to act very quickly if anything else changes in your queen. I hope all is well.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just back from the vet. Thankfully she doesn't think it's anything too serious but could feel a bit of swelling so has given her a long-lasting antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory, I've just to look out for any signs of diarrhea or weight loss in the kittens and feed them the powdered kitten milk/dioralyte if needed.

Fingers crossed everything will go smoothly from now! :)

·
Registered
608 Posts
Fingers crossed that that sorts her. So glad it is nothing awful but good job that you took her, bit worrying the Vets telling you it was not a problem without an exam, you were right to be concerned.

Thank goodness you spotted the signs and reacted promptly.

:)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think you're right, she said it wasn't too swollen but when she squeezed it some more came out :blink: Not too happy that the vets told me not to come in, but then I tend to avoid that vet, I only went because it's the one that works with the Cat's Protection. There are 3 vets there, the one who told me I don't need to come in, the one that told me there was nothing wrong with my guinea pig, when it died a week later and then the on that I saw today, who I've not seen before but she actually seems really good so I'm happy with her :)

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
always trust your instincts.
i had years ago a vet tell me over the phone not to worry after my queen was bleeding after the neuter operation 3 weeks after she had recovered.
i contacted a different vet and they saw her straight away and it was lucky i did otherwise she wouldnt be with me today.
i dont go running to the vet everytime but sometimes its just best for them to see the animal even if its to reassure the owner.:)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just thought I would do an update on this thread rather than making a new one :)

The 2 week antibiotic that Pip was given ran out last wednesday, all seemed fine until thursday when I noticed a small amount of discharge again and then a bit of blood :thumbdown: I took her back to the vet who said she has something like Endometrisis:)confused:), I couldn't get to the word to stick in my head so that might not have been it but I'm sure it started with 'end'. Basically she explained that the womb hasn't closed down as it should have done and there is now an infection in there, she gave her another antibiotic jag but has said that she will probably need another one in 2 weeks time. She said that ideally she would like to spay her but as the kittens are only 4 weeks old it would be better to wait until they are weaned.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of anything like this and if there's anything else that I can do to help her?

·
Registered
12,998 Posts
Did the vet do an ultrasound or x-ray? An infection being due to cystic endometrial hyperplasia this soon after giving birth strikes me as very unlikely. Did you ask what antibiotic was used?

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
Sounds like Pyometra. If it is, then it's very serious and needs treating with Alazin (sp?). The manufacturers have a protocol, but it's paramount that if she's not to be spayed, she goes on this. Pyo can be life threatening if left untreated. I'm not saying this to scare you as I don't mean to, but it needs appropriate attention, and an injection of normal antibiotic just doesn't seem to cut it normally.

·
Registered
12,998 Posts
and an injection of normal antibiotic just doesn't seem to cut it normally
Depending on the underlying cause of the infection there's every chance that appropriate antibiotics will work. This cat has had what appears to be a simple post partum infection for a fair while now so it isn't an acute emergency.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No ultrasound or xray, she just felt her stomach and took her temperature. She had the discharge 2 weeks ago and the antibiotic seemed to work then as it stopped, it only came back after the effect of the antibiotic stopped so she has been given the same one again. Could it still be pyometra even if she had the discharge 2 weeks ago? She is again still acting normal and eating normally. The vet didn't say which one they used but I think it was possibly in a fridge or something as both times she has had it they have had to leave the room to get it, which they haven't done for any antibiotics they have given in the past :confused: could just be that they keep this one somewhere else though I guess.

·
Registered
12,998 Posts
It's very difficult to give you sensible advice until we know what she's had already. I'd probably discuss using Baytril with my vet. It has a name for being quite effective for uterine infection.

·
Registered
12,998 Posts
Just checked there, I was only given a debit card receipt
Always ask for a full and detailed printed receipt. With so many vets now not doing their own OOH service there's no way an emergency vet would be able to access records so you need to have details to hand.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.