Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Disappointing response for petition

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Gillian, Feb 23, 2008.

1. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

I'm not saying it's right either,but you can't jump to the conclusion these dogs are dangerous around people / humans when in a different situation.

These dogs should be kept under control around livestock,they arn't but because they have attacked sheep or another animal doesn't make them an automatic danger to children.It's wrong to make assumptions like that the two don't go hand in hand.

2. totalzoo

totalzoo PetForums Newbie

and obviously I controlled Happy, preventing her from attacking children..cant say she didnt scare the daylights out of most of them though. what if someone has reported her as dangerous, using the logic of "what if I had lost control" ? then the police could just walk in and seize my dog? fat chance, I love that dog more then life. and FYI? Happy is now the "naighborhood" dog she thinks kids are gods gift to her, and I get them from all over the naighborhood knockong on my door asking if they can take Happy out to play.

if nobody ever gave her a chance then the little girls down the block would still be scared of dogs, none of my others dogs would have had homes(Happy is the reason for their adoption), my pyrshep would have been PTS years ago(Happy is the only reason we knew the breeder so well, that dog was given to us because of Happy). if Happy hadnt been given that chance then I would be back where I used to be(I have Social Anxiety disorder, helping Happy forced me to get comfortable talking to people). the list goes on, I litterally owe my life to that dog and all the issues that came with her. when something like this comes up, all I can think is "what if nobody gave her that chance?"

3. claire

claire Guest

yes and thats fair enough and i didnt make assumptions but even if they dont attack children it is still wrong, they attacked someone elses pet! i know i would want action against a dog that attacked mine for no reason

4. Gillian

Gillian PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the voices of reason. Sallyanne, I (as does my neighbour) own very small caravan sites - just 5 vans. The children who visit these sites often play unattended in our very safe secluded wood. It's one of the main reason the site is so popular. The dog owner in question has land running to the woods, the dogs come out of the woods to kill. The police have advised me not to allow children to go there alone as they feel there is a very real risk to them. These dogs have demonstrated they will attack humans. A 50 yr old guy being attacked will probably fair better than a six year old child.

What do you think should happen to these dogs? As I mentioned it is extremely dangerous (if not illegal) to shoot anything on my land due to the line of site in one direction and a road bordering the top line.

As I said in a previous post some local people were walking their Yorkie on a lead when a dog slipped it's lead, ran over a road, attacked and killed it. The police can do nothing. I'm sure the police have no interest what-so-ever in impounding dogs but surely there should be a clear law when it becomes necessary. Using a child reference may be emotive but adults tend to survive dog attacks, children often do not. Many children will instinctively wade in to try and protect a pet being attacked - I certainly have in the past - surely there is no place in society for dogs who attack unprovoked.

5. Gillian

Gillian PetForums Newbie

Sorry to harp on about this but I thought long and hard about the wording of the petition and the main crux is "SEEN TO ATTACK" it wouldn't apply to Happy as she looked agressive but never acted on it (or was never allowed to).

6. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Gillian I do agree with what your saying,but just not about seizing dogs,as for the dogs concerned I would want them removed and either rehabilitated or pts.
    Children should never ever be left unattended or walking dogs on their own,common sense factor applies.Dogs very rarely attack humans for no reason,dogs do give off body language and signs before attacking,it's upto us as there owners to recognise and act on it.

I will say it again Breeders Owners and Parents all need to be made accountable for their actions as the ultimate price is usually paid by the dog with it's life,regardless of who's fault it was.

7. claire

claire Guest

if everyone cared about looking after dogs as much as people on here i doubt there would be much for us to talk about on this subject

8. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Yep your so right....

See I do agree,I just care about animal welfare very strongly and after seeing the end result of some of those dogs kept confined in kennels for months even years,it breaks my heart,especially when they were innocent family pets deemed as dangerous dogs when they had done no wrong and they were taken because of the way they looked.So very very wrong!

9. claire

claire Guest

same as i said i think you are right they shouldnt be kept in confined kennels as this is wrong but i still think they should be taken away not into confined kennels but away from bad owners they dont deserve to have them. i think rehabilitation is the answer but who would be resonsible for making sure this was done properly is a vicious circle

10. marlynaveve

marlynaveve PetForums Senior

if nobody ever gave her a chance then the little girls down the block would still be scared of dogs, none of my others dogs would have had homes(Happy is the reason for their adoption), my pyrshep would have been PTS years ago(Happy is the only reason we knew the breeder so well, that dog was given to us because of Happy). if Happy hadnt been given that chance then I would be back where I used to be(I have Social Anxiety disorder, helping Happy forced me to get comfortable talking to people). the list goes on, I litterally owe my life to that dog and all the issues that came with her. when something like this comes up, all I can think is "what if nobody gave her that chance?"[/QUOTE]

Seems to me Happy has 'landed on her feet' coming to you and you obvious love her to bits, well done.
    And I am sure if you knew of a dog being badly abused and neglected you would what to try and do something about it.
    IMO dogs that fall into the hands of bad owners that are irresponsable and take no steps to assure that they behave in an acceptable way, are suffering a form of abuse. For the sake of the dogs they should be taken away from these owners, the owners should then be banned from keeping dogs in the future.
    I am disgusted and saddened by the stories of how the dogs are treated under the DDA, this should never be allowed.
    Mary
    x

11. RebeccaArmstrong

RebeccaArmstrong PetForums Senior

I think this is an excellent post and sums it all up .... I completely disagree that police should have the ability to seize dogs, although i empathise with this situation and yes something should be done - giving this power to police would only make things worse in my opinion and you can guarentee some breeds would be targeted and innocent dogs targeted.

I think it is awful what has happened to your animals, id be heartbroken if it was one of my dogs and i think you have a right to have something done about this but in my opinion a blanket approach will not help.

Also aggression towards another animal does not mean human aggression will follow!

I am really sorry about whats happened and i hope you get this resolved i truly do but would not sign this petition because i believe it would do more harm than good overall

12. alison

alison PetForums Junior

Interestingly the police CAN and do sieze in situations where previously they couldnt. We are seeing many different ways of them taking dogs that often have no power of siezure under the actual offence legislation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice