Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Disappointing response for petition

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Gillian, Feb 23, 2008.

1. claire

claire Guest

same as i said before i believe they sould be kept in better condition but not left6 with bad owners

2. roy38

roy38 PetForums Junior

ive signed totally agree with it

3. totalzoo

totalzoo PetForums Newbie

what makes anyone think that all agressive dogs are in incapable hands? and experinced dog onwer is perfactly capable of handling a "dangerous" dog. what is considered "dangerous"? that can be very very troublesome, there are a LOT, and I mean hundreds of dogs out there that have been deemed dangerous through no fault of their own, either because they were in pain at the time, or some kid abuded them till they attacked etc.. there are dogs who are fear aggressive, some that are just weird. ALL of these dogs could be easily controlled with the right owner. there are very few truley dangerous dogs around.

the reason this hits so close to home for me and pisses me off so much is because I have an "aggressive" dog, and she is my heart dog. Happy used to be so afraid of kids and other dogs that she lunged, barked, snarled and snapped at any dog or child she saw, I could barly hold her back. what if some idiot declared her dangerous and the police were able to just walk into my home and seize her? if that happened then I would not have the amazing, child adoring dog I have today, Happy is the only dog in my house that I would never give up for anything, under any curcumstance, ever. she would defend me to the death and I would do the exact same for her.

4. roy38

roy38 PetForums Junior

you say she would lunge at children and you could barely hold her back!?! well if she had got away and it had been my children she was lunging at and she attacked them i would defend my children to the death and hold you totally responsible for its actions!

5. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

As I said before what about mistaken identy,if you don't live on the land are you 100% sure it's dogs and the correct ones.

As for your statement regarding killing animals,that doesn't mean or go hand in hand with human aggression.It's the sort of sweeping statement I would expect from a non dog owner!

As for what can be done excercise your right and I believe farmers have the right to shoot dogs worrying livestock.

6. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Excellent post!!! I agree.

7. Gillian

Gillian PetForums Newbie

In response to SallyAnne, yes I do know it is these dogs. I caught them killing the first lamb. We had 4 witnesses to them killing our beloved Darcy and 4 witnesses to them attacking my poultry a month later. People who say 'shoot them' really have no idea. I don't own a gun, the line of site on my land is particularly bad as it falls steeply away. The dogs hit at random times at random intervals. Maybe some farmers carry guns all the time but not round here (thankfully). The minute people see these dogs attacking and try to intervene the dogs run off. It would take a very special marksman to hit a galloping German Shorthaired Pointer disappearing into woodland.

If you had read my post you would have read that when we first caught them they tried to attack my friend because they were hyper after the attack so do not insult me saying it's something a non-dog owner would say. I'm talking in facts not rhetoric. Yes we all think it's the owner who should be locked up but let's get that is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. So in the meantime these dogs should be allowed to continue their killing sprees because we don't want them impounded. I'd like to see your opinion if you discovered your pet lying terrified and in agony having had her throat ripped wide open and her intestines pouring out of her stomach, YES still alive. It was a lamb, it could have easily been your dog or cat.

I am a dog lover, I didn't have them shot, my BIGGEST mistake. The tragedy being that next time I discover someones pet pooch on my land no matter who sweet and inocent they appear they won't get a 2nd chance.

Please don't jump to conclusions without taking time to read post properly. My petition clearly says "SEEN ATTACKING" not think may have attacked.

Some of these simplistic narrow minded posts are making my blood boil.

8. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Gillian, I would get on to the police, if you haven't already done so, see how the case is coming along, I know it wont be seen as top priority, but you need to make them aware of your feelings.

Most farmers round here don't shoot the dogs either, they usually catch them, and contact the owners telling them what has happened and they want compensation, I know this does not relieve the suffering of the animal, but it does hit them where it hurts, in their pocket.

Although this man sounds a right w****r so I can understand why you would not want to do this.

And as you have already pointed out, dogs in prey drive may bite you if you try to grab them.

9. Gillian

Gillian PetForums Newbie

Hi Jenny the police have been involved since the first killing. Now, three months after the last one they only have ONE more statement to collect!!! The dogs is question will have died of old age before anything gets done. Fortunately my sheep are so cute and tame that I've had alot of local press coverage. The local police inspector said only last week, "you are very persistant aren't you" I did confront the owner who called me a trouble maker and said they were only a few old sheep worth a couple of quid. This is the man who dogs only are only alive today because of my compassion.

Anyway the police inspector has put someone else on the case who seems a bit more interested. She also now thinks they could have seized the dogs earlier but says the law isn't clear (hence the petition). Hopefully a file will go to the CPS shortly and hopefully the flock can soon go home.

The dogs involved are a dog and a bitch and the dogs has a very nasty side. I've been told by neighbours his children like to wind him up with white plastic sacks, so not suprising really. Lovely family. They also like to see my neighbours horses gallop about by throwing sticks and rocks at them. Wonderful what a private education does for you - yes I know - it's just that council house kids seem to get all the bad press.

10. Jenny Olley

I'm glad you are being persistant, hopefully you will soon get a result. The whole family sound not very nice, you are right money can't buy good manners or a care for humanity, and other living creatures.

11. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Gillian I was NOT insulting you, the part of your post making the sweeping statement is in red and bold,Is your friend a child,dogs driven by prey drive may bite,same with breaking a fight between two dogs you may get bitten,does this mean they are going to attack a child,I think not!

To make a statement like it may be a child next time IS a sweeping statement.The two are completley different!

By the way my O/H is from a farm and can't quite believe your keeping livestock and not a gun.My O/H has on numerous occasions shot dogs and foxes.

12. claire

claire Guest

i hope all goes well with the case and that the dogs are removed from this bad owner keep us updated please:)

13. Jenny Olley

As far as I understand it Gillian just has a few pet sheep, I know lots of people in this situation who do not own a gun.

14. claire

claire Guest

do you ever agree with anything anyone says? cant you just see they have a strong point in what tthey are saying? these dog are not safe and its not ok for them to keep doing what they are, yes i know its bad owners who allow this to happen but dont try and blame this person for her loss its they choice to keep a gun or not regards of what your OH believes, there livestock have the right to be safe from these dogs,and these dog shouldnt be loose to carry out the attack

15. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

She has chickens aswell...at the end of the day whether gillian lives on a farm or in a town, these dogs SHOULD'NT be allowed to carry on killing gillians innocent animals.

16. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

Well said claire.

17. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

I feel for her but I will not agree to dogs been seized and kept in confinment for months even years in poor conditions for them to be given a death sentence anyway.That's cruel and injustice also.

I have my own opinions and if I don't agree tough!!
    When you see pictures of dogs that have been kept this way maybe just maybe you would understand.If the evidence is there,then remove the dog by all means,rehabilitate it or pts,don't keep it in kennels in poor conditions for months or yrs.

As for the Police having powers to seize so called dangerous dogs no way would I agree to that,I saw the fiasco in merseyside,they are supposed to be trained officers yet were taking innocent family pets because they "thought" they resembled Pittbull Type and were dangerous.

18. AJ

AJ Guest

Yep, she agreed with what I said!

I read the whole post and the petition and just don't agree with it, I'm sorry if that offends you.

19. claire

claire Guest

i didnt say you were wrong i dont agree with dog being kept in bad conditions either as i have said lots before but i dont see that as an excuse to let them run round attacking people/animals and people to sit and say well there nothing we can do because the police dont treat them right, anyway sally im not arguing with you on this point i know we are both right you, are only think of animal welfare and if the DDA worked properly there would be nothing for us to discuss but as it doesnt people are always going see different ways in which it should be solved!

20. claire

claire Guest

it doesnt offend me and i also agree with you dog shouldnt be kept by the police in bad condition BUT they should be left with bad owner thats all im saying

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice